Question:
Why do we need to respect religions?
?
2012-03-19 05:42:53 UTC
If you criticize religion, every so often someone will say to you quite disapprovingly "You may not have faith in God, but you could show a bit more respect for those people who do." My conscience knows that there's no earthly reason for anybody on this planet to respect religion in any way. And quite frankly, the fact that religion gets so little abuse compared to what it really deserves, I can only attribute to the unbelievable tolerance, restraint, and plain good manners of atheists and secularists everywhere. So, if you are a religious person, and if you're thinking of demanding more respect for your beliefs, please try to bear in mind that you and your religion are already getting way more respect than you have ever deserved. Your faith is a joke. Your god is a joke. He's so absurd he's an embarrassment even to people who don't believe in him. So far, no proof has been forthcoming, nor is it likely to be, as we all well know, so respect, I'm afraid, is out of the question. The best you can hope for is amused incredulity, and that would be on a good day. People say you can only truly understand faith when you have faith, which I take to mean when you've suspended your critical faculties and hypnotised yourself into believing a load of fascist nonsense about your eternal soul then you'll understand faith. Well, I can certainly believe that. Faith-peddlers like to put themselves beyond question by claiming that their faith transcends reason, the very thing that calls it to account. How convenient. Yes, faith transcends reason the way a criminal transcends the law. If you hear a senior clergyman using the word "transcendent" to explain the nonsense he claims to believe, then you know two things: One: he doesn't know what he's talking about, and two: he doesn't want you to know what he's talking about either. Faith doesn't transcend reason at all. Faith sidesteps reason. It runs away from reason because reason threatens its cosy bubble of delusion, so faith disqualifies reason the way a Dutch criminal court disqualifies truth and witnesses, and for much the same reason. If you're a believer, your faith allows you to adopt a set of beliefs that make absolutely no sense, knowing that you won't be measured by whether they make sense, but by the level of piety you exhibit in believing them. In other words, your willingness to deny reality becomes a measure of your virtue. No wonder religion is so popular. But what a price you pay for this virtue. You've been persuaded that believing in the impossible is your only hope. How did that happen? And that your purpose is to worship something beyond your understanding, defined by, and only accessible through, self-appointed intermediaries. Your thoughts, your words and your identity are no longer solely yours to decide, but are subject to the approval of those who have assumed authority over you through your faith, the people who have told you that you were born with something wrong with you (come on!) in a state of sin, no less, a condition that can only be cured by complete submission and obedience to them (surprise surprise) from the moment you're born to the moment you die. And if all this doesn't exactly flatter you ego (and why should it?) don't worry; we can give it a special name to make you feel better and persuade you that you've still got some dignity. Let's call it faith, and let's deem it to be the highest and most noble and profound of all virtues, and let's pretend that it comes from within, when we all know that nothing about your religion is allowed to come from within because that would give you strength and freedom, the two things your religion wants as far away from you as possible. Faith is the grip that clergy have over you. It's the invisible rope around your neck that pulls you along the road they want you to travel, for their benefit, not yours. It's a dead end word. It's a word of bondage. It's a word that lets you believe what you've been told to believe without feeling that you've been told what to believe, but you have, and you can stop pretending any time you like. It's not a virtue; that's the last thing it is. It's an abdication from reality. It's a dumb act of self-hypnosis. It's a cowardly cop out. It's gullibility with a halo. And hiding behind it is like pretending to be an invalid. So I don't really understand exactly what it is that I'm supposed to respect. It seems to me I'd need to be some kind of moral contortionist to respect something that noxious, something that depends for its existence on a closed mind, and that is clearly dragging humanity in the wrong direction, , and giving us false ideas about ourselves and about the nature of reality. I feel if I respected that I'd be needlessly contributing to the stupidity and ignorance of the human race, and t
Thirteen answers:
2012-03-19 05:46:57 UTC
We dont ... xD xD

nice atheist manifesto !
Lee
2012-03-19 05:52:20 UTC
Respecting a person and respecting their beliefs can be seperated, they do not need to be mutually exclusive. I am sure I could have had a best friend or a woman I loved who lived in Nazi Germany (they were just a nation of people) but even though I would love and respect them as people, I wouldn't respect their beliefs or what they were following. The same can be said for religion. I am not comparing Nazism to any religion, I was just using that as an example.
?
2016-09-11 14:36:12 UTC
As a Christian myself- i would not refute the character who posed the query you gave as an illustration cos it is actual. Scientists can't end up the sector has existed for over one million years or what ever they are saying. However- if a Christian used to be to put up a whatever that claims atheists must be wiped off the face of the earth and that Christians must have 0 tolerance to atheists and i used to be to encounter the sort of query- i could vehemently refute it, due to the fact that that form of angle is improper and is going utterly reverse to what the Bible instructions us (to like our enemies)
2012-03-19 05:46:35 UTC

2012-03-19 05:48:52 UTC
I normally don't answer long, unparagraphed essays, and I didn't read this one either. But I will answer your question.

Religions that treat people badly do not deserve my respect. Hitler was a Christian who acted out of his profoundly fundamentalist (fear-filled) view. Should I respect his version of christianity? I think not.

Even mainstream christian religions today have become aggressively pushy and immoral over the last 20 or so years. Seeing as how many are turning away from religion as a result of that change gives me hope that soon they will wipe themselves out of existence. Until then, let them continue mistreating people - non-christians, homosexuals, women, people of all colors but caucasian, etc., so that we can reclaim a world worthy of our respect.
2012-03-19 06:03:16 UTC
I'm not reading all of that.

Don't respect religions. This is like saying "you should respect politics". You don't respect something that is so generalized that you couldn't pinpoint what it is you DO respect about it, if anything.

Seriously, this rant/whine about "I don't want to respect" from both sides is beyond old now. Even the trolls are in the corner going "when are they going to STFU already?"
Siver ChaCha
2012-03-19 05:51:48 UTC
You can criticize it .... I do ... but within some boundaries .

I think they believe in Santa Claus many of them think I will go to hell because of that, and try to get me to see that. The problem comes when people feel the rejection of their faith is a personal rejection of them as people. And conversely when they get too "enthusiastic " in their efforts.... we become insulted ...because we are mostly adults and we know what we think.

The problem is lack of civility mixed with kid trolls playing around. I bet 98% of us could get along if we met face to face.
Joshua D
2012-03-19 05:50:05 UTC
I think you've given a pretty good summary of why religions don't deserve respect...albeit, some of their charitable contributions can certainly be commended.
Dreamstuff Entity
2012-03-19 05:47:46 UTC
Nonsensical, harmful ideas do not deserve respect - and the idea that all beliefs are worthy of respect is itself harmful. Nobody actually respects all beliefs.
Christian Sinner
2012-03-19 05:50:52 UTC
Yes. People, all people are stupid, you are superior. You are not a man with an over-developed inferiority complex, and you are someone who really does love paragraphs, and you are not a lonely bitter man, who apparently lives in a wheelchair, or likes to walk like a Hobbit.
Ted Christian Anarchist
2012-03-19 06:02:17 UTC
lolz. this is what spreads hate and ignorance. don't repect other people? don't expect to be respected back
2012-03-19 05:54:35 UTC
Atheism is a religion too. Maybe you should just brush up on your definitions before ranting.
no1home2day
2012-03-19 05:45:12 UTC
DANGER! RUN!

A TSUNAMI WALL OF TEXT IS ABOUT TO FLOOD US OUT!

(I tawt I taw a troll!

I did, I DID taw a troll!)