Question:
Biblical Scholars Only: Can anyone please quote any verses from the OT that apply to/ are popular with Jews?
Arya Princess
2010-10-30 17:19:51 UTC
Does the OT contain any verses that also mirror the Tanakh or Torah and are non controversial?
Ten answers:
Voice in the Wilderness
2010-10-30 17:25:17 UTC
I'm not a Bible scholar, but the Tanakh, Torah, and our OT are all the same things:

http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm

Voice in the Wilderness

Edit: If anyone would care to follow the link I posted, I have provided basically the same information as nunya's answer, which is quite lengthy. How nunya got thumbs up and I got thumbs down is one of the mysteries of Yahoo.

To the asker: It appears that no one has actually answered your question including me. I will henceforth attempt:

There are disagreements over much of scripture, but I've really never heard anyone fight about Psalms. If you're looking for non-controversial, Psalm 23 is probably the most popular scripture. Many children were taught this either in Sunday school or Catholic school, and many unchurched adults have at least heard this, it MAY be the best-loved scripture in the world:

Psa 23:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psa 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Psa 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Psa 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Psa 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Voice in the Wilderness
Ambi valent
2010-10-31 02:20:20 UTC
The Torah is the first five books of the Tanakh. The Tanakh was translated from the Hebrew into Greek, Latin and the vernacular, and re-ordered to create the Christian "Old Testament". There are some serious mistranslations in most Christian versions, but the vast majority of verses are totally non-controversial.

I'm not sure what you mean about verses that apply to or are popular with Jews. We read the whole thing, all the mitzvot ('commandments') apply to us (not merely the "Ten Commandments") and probably everyone has verses they're particularly fond of. If you can be clearer about what you're after, I'll add to this answer.

EDIT: Ah, right. Not got time to think and search right now, but will come back to this in a few hours.
?
2016-10-03 02:04:45 UTC
What i comprehend is that God (Jesus) does not exchange. he's the comparable the day gone by, at present and the next day. Jesus additionally tells us a house divided won't stand. In different words, He tells us in the OT that sexual sin (particularly any sin) is an abomination. that doesn't exchange in the recent testomony. The passage in which you refer is approximately marriage and divorce. the only stable interpretation of the Scripture is Scripture and the Holy Spirit. Matt 19:12 There are distinctive the rationalization why some adult males won't be able to marry. some adult males have been born without the skill to alter into fathers. Others have been made that way later in existence with tips from persons. and a few adult males have given up marriage because of the dominion of heaven. however the guy who can marry would desire to settle for this coaching approximately marriage." NCV
Kennedy Flair †
2010-11-06 20:47:29 UTC
The Shema!

Shema Yisrael (or Sh'ma Yisrael or just Shema) (Hebrew: שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל‎; "Hear, [O] Israel") are the first two words of a section of the Torah (Hebrew Bible) that is a centerpiece of the morning and evening Jewish prayer services. The first verse encapsulates the monotheistic essence of Judaism: "Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one," found in Deuteronomy 6:4.

Observant Jews consider the Shema to be the most important part of the prayer service in Judaism, and its twice-daily recitation as a mitzvah (religious commandment). It is traditional for Jews to say the Shema as their last words, and parents teach it to their children before they go to sleep at night.

The term "Shema" is used by extension to refer to the whole part of the daily prayers that commence with Shema Yisrael and comprise Deuteronomy 6:4–9, 11:13-21, and Numbers 15:37–41. These sections of the Torah are read in the weekly Torah portions Va'etchanan, Eikev, and Shlach, respectively.
AmeliaBedelia
2010-10-31 08:05:41 UTC
The Ten Commandments
nunya
2010-10-30 17:34:48 UTC
The sacred Hebrew writings began with the “Tanakh.” The name “Tanakh” comes from the three divisions of the Jewish Bible in Hebrew: Torah (Law), Neviʼim (Prophets), and Kethuvim (Writings), using the first letter of each section to form the word TaNaKh. These books were penned in Hebrew and Aramaic from the 16th century to the 5th century B.C.E.

Jews believe that they were written under different and diminishing degrees of inspiration. Therefore, they put them in this order of importance:

Torah—the five books of Moses, or the Pentateuch (from Greek for “five scrolls”), the Law, consisting of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. However, the term “Torah” may also be used to refer to the Jewish Bible as a whole as well as to the oral law and the Talmud.

Neviʼim—the Prophets, covering from Joshua through to the major prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, and then through the 12 “minor” prophets from Hosea to Malachi.

Kethuvim—the Writings, consisting of the poetic works, Psalms, Proverbs, Job, The Song of Songs, and Lamentations. In addition it embraces Ruth, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, and First and Second Chronicles.

The Talmud

From the Gentile point of view, the “Tanakh,” or Jewish Bible, is the most important of Jewish writings. However, the Jewish view is different. Many Jews would agree with the comment by Adin Steinsaltz, a rabbi: “If the Bible is the cornerstone of Judaism, then the Talmud is the central pillar, soaring up from the foundations and supporting the entire spiritual and intellectual edifice . . . No other work has had a comparable influence on the theory and practice of Jewish life.” (The Essential Talmud)

Orthodox Jews believe not only that God gave the written law, or Torah, to Moses at Mount Sinai but also that God revealed to him specific explanations of how to carry out that Law, and that these were to be passed on by word of mouth. This was called the oral law. Thus, the Talmud is the written summary, with later commentaries and explanations, of that oral law, compiled by rabbis from the second century C.E. into the Middle Ages.

Edit-----------------

Oh, I see. I deleted some info so I could include some verses:

On racial prejudice- : “In case an alien resident resides with you as an alien in your land, you must not mistreat him. The alien resident who resides as an alien with you should become to you like a native of yours; and you must love him as yourself, for you became alien residents in the land of Egypt.” (Leviticus 19:33, 34)

Helping the poor or needy-(Deuteronomy 15:7-8) "In case some one of your brothers becomes poor among you in one of your cities, in your land that Jehovah your God is giving you, you must not harden your heart or be closefisted toward your poor brother. 8 For you should generously open your hand to him and by all means lend him on pledge as much as he needs, which he is in want of."

(Deuteronomy 15:10) You should by all means give to him, and your heart should not be stingy in your giving to him, because on this account Jehovah your God will bless you in every deed of yours and in every undertaking of yours.

On speaking kindly- (Proverbs 12:18) There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing.

On love and forgiveness- (Proverbs 10:12) Hatred is what stirs up contentions, but love covers over even all transgressions.

I hope these help.
The angels have the phone box.
2010-11-07 01:53:29 UTC
"Love your neighbor as yourself." Leviticus 19:18

You'll find variants in many cultures, often called the "Golden Rule".
Why are we here ?
2010-10-30 19:00:55 UTC
Christ was a Jew ! He still loves the Jews even though many but not all rejected him. When he returns and establishes himself as King over all the earth he will use the Jews to educate the world to his way of life.

(Zechariah 14:9 And the LORD shall be King over all the earth. In that day it shall be "The LORD is one," And His name one.) (Zechariah 8:22 Yes, many peoples and strong nations Shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem, And to pray before the LORD.' Zechariah 8:23 "Thus says the LORD of hosts: 'In those days ten men from every language of the nations shall grasp the sleeve of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.) Muslims won't like this. Too bad !
Trey J
2010-10-30 17:25:17 UTC
the entire OT applies to the house of Israel goin forward with teachings that the JEWS( tribe of Judah) practiced more so than any of the other 11 tribes.
2010-10-30 17:39:02 UTC
Quotes from books by Jews:

"Though the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh, which includes the Torah) is the basic and most important component of the Jewish literary heritage, it is rarely read by Jews as a straight text. Instead it is studied with the help of classical commentaries (Talmud), since it is not the text as such which is holy but the text as interpreted by the Jewish tradition of rabbinic exegesis."

Page 39 - http://books.google.com/books?id=y3--5jTheDUC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128#v=onepage&q&f=false

________

"Large sections of the Bible would be virtually unknown to the majority of Jews, even those who regularly attend synagogue services... There is a well known Jewish joke about the yeshivah student who knows of a biblical verse because he knows on which page of the Talmud its mentioned."

Page 40 - http://books.google.com/books?id=y3--5jTheDUC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128#v=onepage&q&f=false

________

"It is quite clear even from these examples that when Orthodox Jews today (or all Jews before about 1780) read the Bible, they are reading a very different book, with a totally different meaning, from the Bible as read by non-Jews or non-Orthodox Jews. This distinction applies even in Israel, although both parties read the text in Hebrew. Experience, particularly since 1967, has repeatedly corroborated this. Many Jews in Israel (and elsewhere), who are not Orthodox and have little detailed knowledge of the Jewish religion, have tried to shame Orthodox Israelis (or right-wingers who are strongly influenced by religion) out of their inhuman attitude towards the Palestinians, by quoting at them verses from the Bible in their plain humane sense. It was always found, however, that such arguments do not have the slightest effect on those who follow classical Judaism; they simply do not understand what is being said to them, because to them the biblical text means something quite different than to everyone else."

http://books.google.com/books?id=avh6dkSop0EC&lpg=PP1&dq=jewish%20history%20jewish%20religion&pg=PA38#v=onepage&q=%22It%20is%20quite%20clear%20even%20from%20these%22&f=false