Question:
What is your definition of 'faith'?
spur4eight
2006-03-27 11:24:37 UTC
What is your working definition of faith, and how did you arrive at that definition?

Which is more important, the faith one holds, or the object of the faith one holds?

Please address all areas asked, and feel free to add any observations you feel are important.
Twenty answers:
askeutychus
2006-03-27 11:27:28 UTC
:i

defined knowledge , trust , belief without emperical tangable evidence

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

more coming .... need time to write

I have always had difficulty just trusting. I like and believe in logic and empirical evidence. Intuition, emotional decisions and insight all meant error to me.

That was the case until a very close loved one was on her death bed, the doctors told me there was little hope, there remained only a prayer for a peaceful passing. Unable to pray for that I prayed for recovery. Hours later I felt a kind of peace and a feeling she would recover. She is with me now. In that prayer I prayed if he would grant that prayer I would trust all he said or did forever.

It still did not come easy but with each experience of his faithfulness, and as I read scripture and stories of his faithfulness to the Israelites, my own faith grew stronger

As for the last part of your question, the object of the faith is the only thing which is important. His faithfulness is what gives faith it’s evidence
zun-noon
2006-03-30 16:23:33 UTC
The definition of faith is relative to everyone. What one person defines faith may merely be an observation to another.

In my opinion, faith is something that the heart believes in while the mind/ brain agrees with.

some people may have faith on something but not necessarily understand it. Thats is blind faith.

Others belive only in something that makes sense. That is a strong faith becaseu that faith can be backed up by the thinking mind which correlated faith with reality.

Which is more important??

Without the object of faith, there can be no faith.

Its relative as to who is asking.

For instance, God is the most important thing in having faith. He is the almighty, whether or not people belive in him. He will always be there, and will always be "important" so to speak.

For the believer, he needs to have faith. For him, his faith is all thats going to help him.

You cannot really compare these 2 things. Its like asking what is more importatant- the electricity or the bulb?

Both, faith and object of faith are two different dimensions.

However, when it comes to God being the object of faith, he doesnt need you to have faith in him. He is the almighty, having faith in him would not make him stronger. And he cannot be compared to anything.
?
2006-03-30 12:48:10 UTC
What is your working definition of faith, and how did you arrive at that definition:

My working definition of faith is that spark which allows me to put one foot in front of the other and walk the path Jesus has laid before me. If I possessed no belief in Him who saved me, If I possessed no hope in His promises, If I possessed no promise of His return, I would have no reason for living.

Another aspect of faith is a "rubber meets the road" type of thing. Faith is most evident when the things we have learned in our faith walk are put to the test. Like the martyrs, the girl at columbine and you when someone does or says something that you know is wrong. Do you stand for your beliefs or do you keep quiet.? If your faith is where it should be, then you stand. No question. Daily applications of your faith are the true test of whether you have it or not.

Which is more important, the faith one holds, or the object of the faith one holds:

Faith is more important. It is the motivator that causes me to get up every day. One must remember though, if your faith is misdirected and placed on an unworthy object..Then it is moot. Even those who profess to be atheist have faith--not in God--but in other things. We of the Christian faith have just realized that faith needs to be correctly directed.

Is Faith blind:

Blind to what? Justice is blind. Faith by virtue of the hope placed in it cannot be blind. I know I see the struggles of people of high intellect to come to a saving knowledge of Christ. Their faith is not blind, but it has 20/20 vision. It sees things clearly and completely. Faith knows what is going on and stills stands strong. Part of faith in loyalty. Without loyalty, faith is just a little hope.
Lasorna
2006-03-27 11:30:44 UTC
I didn't understand what faith meant till year 6 years ago. I was reading the book of Mark over and over again and then one day, suddenly my eyes were opened to understanding what it meant. The Holy Spirit opened my eyes to understand that faith is an action word. We don't just believe but we also have to do. Faith without action is dead. Just like you believe you can sit in a chair and it will hold you up. So you take the action because you believe. This was the greatest insight I had at the time that changed my life and due to it, I'm able to depend and submit to Him more. =>
2006-03-27 12:09:25 UTC
Giving God the benefit of the doubt that He is Who He says He is. That He has will and purpose for all that happens in our lives. This is based on two examples in the Bible, Mark 9:24 for small faith, and Matthew 8:8 for great faith.

Faith is based solely on the One you are addressing. My faith is always small, but my God is big and takes up all the slack of where I am deficient.

To have a true faith in God, I would highly recommend studying every aspect of the Centurion in Matthew 8.
wrathpuppet
2006-03-30 15:13:13 UTC
This question caused me to peruse some of the dictionary definitions of faith. None of what I found meshed totally with my own idea of what faith is.

I found: "Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing." I also found: "Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence."

I have always thought of faith as "total confidence in a particular belief or eventual outcome without absolute proof that said belief is accurate or said outcome guaranteed."

I'm generally not in the habit of making up my own definitions for words, but it would seem that we're all guilty of this from time to time. I'm not entirely sure how I arrived at this conclusion, but I'll see if I can reason it out.

I guess that first it's important to say that no one is completely without faith. Much of life is predicated on the belief that in order for your day to progress smoothly, a host of strangers needs to preform various activities without gross failure.

I remember reading about a fictional revolutionary group in some book years ago. Part of the trust building process involved in joining the group involved going into a room, removing a gun and ammunition from a drawer, loading the gun, and replacing it in the drawer. On hour later the recruit was required to go back into the room, take the gun out of the drawer, put it to his or her temple, and pull the trigger. They needed to have faith that another recruit, unknown to them, had gone into the drawer and unloaded the gun. This is an exaggerated example of the way that we each trust policemen, bus drivers, and the guys who change the lightbulbs in stoplights to do their jobs so that we can safely and effectively do ours.

The only proof that we have that these things will be accomplished is the fact that they have happened, more or less reliably, every day for as long as we can remember. Recoginizing that "past results are not indicators of future preformance," we ignore this warning and set our alarms for tomorrow. I'm not sure if faith is "blind," in this case, but chances are that it's far from being eagle-eyed.

It would seem that I'm not going to be able to figure out how I came to that particular definition, but I hope that helps.

Moving on to the issue of "faith in god," I will have to say the same thing that skeptics have been saying for centuries: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

It's easy to have faith that the trains will run, or that the bank won't lose your money. We can measure our past experiences with the transit authority or Bank of America and have faith that things will continue in the same general way they have for years. These are pretty mundane things and the fact that the trains have been running for almost a hundred years is "proof" enough for us that they will run tomorrow.

Something as extraordinary and seemingly unmeasurable as the presence of a deity, though, requires "proof" of a caliber that has not been seen, well, ever. This is when faith turns in her thick lenses for sunglasses and a cane.

When something is totally immeasurable and cannot be observed in any capacity, belief in it becomes a supreme act of faith, and because the basic belief cannot be measured, this is an instance of "blind faith."

Where does this leave us? Back where we started, I guess. I haven't read the other responses yet, as I didn't want to taint my answer, but I think that we will discover that everyone has differing opinions on the definition of "faith," which is interesting, as people, myself included, are generally not expected to make up their own definitions for words. I think that with such a malleable word we will always have disagreements over what it means. Sadly, they tend to be a little more heated than the disagreements that arise from "What's the true meaning of Christmas?"

Alright, it's time to go read the other responses. I hope I haven't rambled too much and have made at least a little bit of sense.
romance9398
2006-03-27 11:31:23 UTC
Believing in something that you can't necessarily see. Jesus is more important than my faith in Him. My faith is necessary to my salvation but without Him there would be no salvation. Faith to me is like using the brakes on the car. I have no proof that they will work every time and run the chance that they won't. But that doesn't mean I never try to use them. Faith doesn't mean you don't ever question what you believe in. I have had ample opportunity to do that. But I still believe what I believe.
2006-03-27 11:31:02 UTC
To me, faith means believing something in the heart that one can't visibly see. For me, the most important thing is the faith I hold and what I believe in.
2006-03-27 12:30:57 UTC
askeutychus got it right Heb.11:1

That whole eleventh chapter deals with faith. Study it.

James goes into explaining faith.

Jam 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Jam 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

My definition of "the word faith" or "faith in God"?

The word faith is trust or confidence in.

My faith in God is still growing. It is seeing or percieving things not seen but written in His Word. It's not hope but confidence in His truth. It is a trust I put forth so greatly that I am willing to leave this flesh life. Willing to do all I can for Him. Willing for many to hate me. Willing to go through persecution. Willing in this time of darkness to be a light to all in the room. Willing to stand boldly and declare His truth. I better stop.

It's just the opposite, unbelief is blindness.
lordaviii
2006-03-27 11:35:51 UTC
NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, [a]the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].- hebrews 11;1-amplified

faith is believing something will happen, without having any physical proof that it will.

without faith it is impossible to please God.

the faith is more important. when it is fulfilled, the faith has done its job.
Alyssa
2006-03-27 11:55:54 UTC
Faith is to belive in something or someone you havent seen or touched before but you belive because of what he/she/it means to you.

The faith one holds is more important than the object of the faith.
stpolycarp77
2006-03-27 11:30:45 UTC
I was asked this question not to long ago at church. I think faith, from a Christian perspective, is the letting go of your own will and desires and embracing God's will and desires even when you don't know what will happen to you or where it will lead you.
Tommy G.
2006-03-27 11:50:19 UTC
For me faith is trust.Christ is apparent in my life,not unseen.

Christ ,the object of my faith is more important.What is my faith without him.
Who dat
2006-03-27 11:29:41 UTC
Believeing in what you cannot see is faith to me. I cannot see God as a person but in His works and all that is around me.
donb@rogers.com
2006-03-27 11:29:35 UTC
Faith is believing in something or someone without seeing.
lil'one
2006-03-27 11:42:33 UTC
Believeing in the things that are unseen. Faith is trusting God-believing that He loves us and knows what is for our good.
computer_glitch_uhoh
2006-03-27 11:29:49 UTC
1. Faith to me is plain and simple "knowledge and belief".

2. I have faith in God, that he will allow me to prosper within his will, and that I will inturn follow his word and commandments and believe he is the Lord my God.
lady_4jc
2006-03-27 11:29:47 UTC
Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
josh012404
2006-03-27 13:38:45 UTC
Being able to believe in something no matter what the so called facts say....
2006-03-27 11:29:10 UTC
The following most likely doesn't answer all areas that you want but when I was trying to look up stuff on faith I found what I pasted below and thought you'd like to read it.

There was a tightrope walker, who did incredible aerial feats of daring. All over Paris, he would do his tightrope act at terrifying heights. As his finale he would walk across a tightrope, blindfolded, while pushing a wheelbarrow. An American promoter read about this in the papers and wrote a letter to the tightrope walker, saying, "I don't believe you can do it, but I'm willing to make you an offer. For a very substantial sum of money, besides all of your transportation costs, I would like to challenge you to do your act over Niagara Falls." The tightrope walker wrote back, "Sir, although I've never been to America nor seen these Falls, I'd love to perform in your country." Well, after a lot of promotion and setting the whole thing up, many people came to see the event. The tightrope walker was to start on the Canadian side and cross over to the American side. There was a dramatic drum roll, as the tightrope walker walked across the rope suspended over the most treacherous part of the falls -- blindfolded!! He made it across easily, pushing his wheelbarrow in front of him. The crowds went wild. He then comes up to the promoter and says, "Well, Mr. Promoter, now do you believe I can do it?" "Well of course I do. I mean, I just saw you do it." "No," said the tightrope walker, "Do you really believe I can do it?" "Well of course I do, you just did it." "No, no, no," said the tightrope walker, "Do you believe I can do it?" "Yes," said the promoter, "I believe you can do it." "Good," said the tightrope walker, "then get in the wheel barrow." "What" said the promoter? "You heard me. If you really believe I can do it, get in the wheel barrow and I'll do it for you again!!"

This story reminds us that anyone can say they believe. Yet faith is more than simply saying, "I believe". Faith is proven genuine only when it is tested. We will know if faith is real by its courage and conviction up against situations that conflict and contradict what we are being asked to believe. Faith is tested when we are asked to trust in the promises of the Bible instead of listening to our own subjective feelings or to what our human reason views as objective fact. For God often calls his people to believe the unbelievable! Faith challenges us to defy our feelings, our fears, and sometimes even the facts -- choosing instead to believe the promises of the Gospel that God has made to us in Scripture.

Why do we refer to Abraham as the father of all believers? Because Abraham is the archetypal believer who first modeled for us how to live by faith in the face of doubt. God persuaded Abraham to believe that God could and would perform the feats he had promised. St. Paul records that Abraham believed God's promise that he would become the father of many nations even though his body "was as good as dead". At close to one hundred years of age, an unable to father a child throughout his long marriage to Sarah --now in her nineties -- this couple's probability of producing an heir was statistically impossible. Abraham and Sarah's greatest longing was to have a child, but Sarah was barren. No wonder Sarah laughed out loud when the Lord told Abraham that his wife would conceive and have a son. What God had promised this elderly couple went against all reproductive odds.

Yet in Abraham's acceptance of God's promise we are given the very definition of what it means to believe, or to have faith. For faith is "being fully persuaded" that God can and will do whatever it is that he has promised to do for us -- no matter how unlikely or unreasonable! At the same time, how absurd it must've sounded to a man almost a hundred years old -- and who had never been able to have children in the past -- to hear God promise him that he would become the father not only of one child, but of many nations? Since God's promise to Abraham and Sarah seemed to go completely against all biological reality, Sarah attempted in her own way to help God's promise along by finding a surrogate mother to bear her a child. Hagar was selected and Abraham at last was able to father a son through this concubine. But this son, Ishmael, represented Sarah's own human attempt to fulfill the promise, and not God's. Sarah's very human solution lacked faith. Sarah did not take God at his Word and so she tried to come up with her own plan to make things happen. Sarah found another way to have a child because she did not really believe God's promise. Even though Sarah is extolled later in the Bible for her faith, here we are reminded in her of how we often try to solve our problems on our own without God's help.

A man approached a little league baseball game one afternoon. He asked a boy in the dugout what the score was. The boy responded, "Eighteen to nothing -- we're behind." "Boy" said the spectator, "I'll bet you're discouraged?" "Why should I be discouraged?" replied the little boy. "We haven't even gotten up to bat yet!" This story illustrates that there are no hopeless situations. There are only people who have grown hopeless about them. Romans chapter four says, "Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed." Faith in Christ beckons us all to become optimists. For our lingering unbelief looks at situations as they are, but faith looks at them as they can be with God's help. Faith believes in what God has promised over anything we may experience in life. Life experiences have a way of making people doubting and cynical about situations, about people, about the future, and about God. But faith calls us to look at life not as we have experienced it, but as God has promised it! If we added up everything that has happened in our lives, there might be times when we came to the conclusion that God has not worked everything together for good in our lives. Yet this is God's promise to the Christian -- that he is working all things together for good in our lives. And so we believe it even when we can't find any empirical evidence for it, because God has promised our lives and our future a gracious outcome!

What God was asking Abraham to believe went against Abraham's personal experience, his common sense, and his reproductive history. And yet we are told that Abraham "did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God". Abraham believed that whatever God promised he also had the power to perform! My guess based on what we know of Abraham is that Abraham did at times waver in his degree of certainty about God's promises, but in God's ledger, as a believer it was never counted against him. As God does for us, through eyes of grace God saw only the faith, and not the residual unbelief in Abraham. This is what it means when it says that Abraham's faith "was credited to him as righteousness". For the sake of our faith in Christ, God does not count or credit our remaining sins and unbelief against us. We may feel guilty at times, too guilty to possibly be forgiven, and yet faith believes the promise of God's grace -- that our guilt has been forgiven and forgotten by Jesus' death on the cross. Are we to believe our feelings of guilt, more than the promise of forgiveness? Faith believes God's promise that God has forgiven our sin and guilt for Jesus' sake. Faith therefore defies feelings of guilt and the fear of death and whatever else contradicts the gracious promises that God has called us to believe.

This leads us to the whole question of why God credits faith as righteousness? The Holy Spirit's comments in this text concerning Abraham might lead us to assume that Abraham was saved by virtue of his faith. But faith is not a human virtue. Faith is not a good work. We are not saved based upon our ability to believe in God or to trust in him. Abraham is not being praised in this text for believing per se, but for believing that God is gracious and would faithfully do what he had promised. These may sound like the same thing, yet they are two entirely different ways of looking at faith. One way is to look upon faith as a good work. But the right way to look at faith is as the receiving means by which the heart takes hold of God's promises of grace in Christ. To put it simply, Abraham did not have faith in his own powers to believe and in his own ability to trust God. That would have been to have had faith in himself and not God. On the contrary, Abraham had faith in the promises of God's grace. For you see, it's not faith in itself that saves us, but it is faith that believes that being justified or acquitted by his blood, we have peace with God through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

As we define faith we must understand that there are great misunderstandings about faith, even among some Christian churches. It might be helpful to point out that there are two kinds of faith or trust: First Commandment faith and Gospel generated faith. The First Commandment commands that we trust in God completely and in no one or in nothing else. The Law of God therefore demands faith from us. But we already know that we cannot fulfill the Law or meet its demands. The Law shows that we do not trust God enough or have the kind of faith in God that we should according to this commandment. Whenever we consider faith according to the First Commandment, we will fail to have enough faith and will end up focused only upon our own unbelief. It's not until our faith attaches itself to the promise of grace that all of this changes. For Gospel created faith trusts God by believing that Christ has forgiven our sins and has fulfilled the Law's requirements for us. Our faith in the Gospel forgives all of our transgressions including our unbelief -- our failure to have faith -- which is a sin against the First Commandment.

First commandment faith as we consider faith under the Law concentrates on the strength of our faith. Unlike it, saving faith attaches itself to the strength of the Lord found in the promise of his grace. The Holy Spirit creates saving faith in those who hear the Gospel's promises. Gospel faith is not interested in measuring the quantity or the quality of our faith. Gospel faith is focused away from itself and fixated entirely upon the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christ is the object and his cross the obsession of saving faith. Faith generated by the good news of the Gospel looks outside itself and focuses on all of God's promises made to us in Christ. And so the very faith that the First Commandment demands from us, the Gospel gives to us as the Holy Spirit causes us to claim and to cling to the Gospel's promises by faith!

Faith does not bring its own righteousness to the bargaining table with God. Faith brings the righteousness of Christ as our only claim of righteousness before God. This is what Romans means when it says that "It was credited to him" as righteousness. God did not make a conditional promise to Abraham based upon Abraham's own ability to father a child. God did not say, "You will become the father of many nations, if you are able to produce a son." But God promised Abraham a son, and despite all of the reasons not to, Abraham believed the promise God made to him! For one of Abraham's future descendants would be Jesus, and through that son God would declare Abraham righteous. God would see Abraham's life through the righteousness life and innocent death of that son. Notice that Romans four says that these promises were not written for Abraham alone, but also for us! If you read the Bible as mere history you might say that this was only promised to Abraham. But faith will extrapolate further and say that the promise is for us and for all who believe as well! The things that happened to the Old Testament patriarchs such as Abraham didn't happen just for their sake, but also for our sakes. God used Abraham to teach us the true nature of faith. We believe in the same God, the same grace, and the same Messianic promises concerning Christ that Abraham believed in! Abraham was looking forward to Christ's day and we look back on it; but the nature of faith hasn't changed in all of the intervening time between father Abraham and now. Abraham hoped in the future promise of Christ while we have faith in the fulfilled promise of Christ. Hope is just faith from a different angle in time. Faith looks back upon the events of the cross, while hope looks forward to the fulfillment of God's promises based on that same faith.

Years ago researchers performed an experiment to see the effect that hope has on those undergoing hardship. Two sets of laboratory rats were placed in separate tanks of water. The researches left one set of rats in the water and found that within an hour they had all drown. The other rats were periodically lifted out of the water and then returned to the tank. When this happened, the second set of rats kept swimming for over 24 hours. Why? Not because they were given a rest, but because they suddenly had hope. Remarkably, those animals somehow had hope that if they could stay afloat just a little longer, someone would reach down and rescue them. If hope holds such power for unthinking rodents, how much greater its effect on our lives? Based upon our faith in Christ God has given us a certain hope in the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the dead, and in the life of the world to come. Hope is not wishful thinking in this context. It is that certainty of God's grace and goodness toward us in Christ that keeps us afloat. We live by faith as people of hope, knowing that God has and will continue to reach down and rescue us in Christ. Amen

Pastor Mark Elliott

St. John Lutheran Church

Champaign, Illinois