Question:
Atheist, if your living by facts and truths can you answer this?
Catholic@Heart
2008-02-24 06:11:44 UTC
There are historical facts (documented writtings ) that a man named Jesus walked the earth. That masses of followers witnessed his "miraculous life". Even the Jews recognize him as sent from God.
How do you justify your total dis of these historical facts and say you live by fact & truth?
Archiologist are still uncovering ancient proof; The Dead Sea Scrolls.
There is more physical evidence of him and "his works" than there are of the Pharoes & Ceasars.
36 answers:
2008-02-24 06:20:27 UTC
Your not going to get the answer you are looking for. These people are atheist for a reason. God hasn't opened their eyes. Were you expecting an answer like, "Gee mister, I am now repenting my sin, I pray that God will forgive me for dissing these facts". No, you will not. Salvation comes from hearing the Word. Try not to understand pagans. We need to understand God and his will in our lives.
Chizza
2008-02-24 06:31:43 UTC
First of all I would like to say that no, there's not more physical evidence of him than there are of Pharoes and Ceasars, and certainly not of his works. There's NO physical evidence of his works.

I do believe that a guy called Jesus lived. I think he was a great public speaker and a marvellous magician.

And really can you say with certainty that these "witnesses" were telling the truth? In a thousand years they'd find the "Lord of the Rings"-books and say that since some guy who lived a thousand years ago said it was true then it must be? It's the same thing.

There are probably loads of historical facts in the bible. But no one can prove Jesus was God's son. Saying you can is just ignorant.
slovakmath
2008-02-24 06:24:54 UTC
do you even know what it means to be an atheist. We find all your superstitions rubbish. just because a person named jesus may have been alive during a certain time period does not mean that jesus actually was the son of zues. and all the scrolls tell us is confirmation that the bible does exist. So we have evidence that the bible and the dead sea scrolls do exist, but they are still false. There is books about lord of the rings, but if we were to bury them and humans uncovered them in 2000 years, should those humans think the lord of the rings was real, just because it happened two thousand years ago and there really happened to be a child actor who was froto. Your logic makes no sense. And just because son of zues somehow learned to do regular parlor tricks like turn water into wine doesn't mean he is the omniscient beginning and end of the universe. let me guess, were you a 7 year old school dropout in order to start working in a sweat shop? Please do the world a favor and DO NOT REPRODUCE! otherwise you will spread you vomit virus faith to your brainwashed children, I already feel sorry for them
?
2008-02-24 06:25:36 UTC
no there is not more physical evidence of him thtan there is the pharoes etc

a man made story will have no foundations of truth in reality, such as jesus's story and his supposed life story

, it is all written down in some book, bible, scroll whatever, all written by OTHER PEOPLE

mostly hundreds of years to thousands of years after the so called 'fact'

by people who obviously werent there at the time as its so long after

so how is ANY of that reliable or useful as actual physical factual evidence??

there is actual physical evidence of everything else that is why we 'believe' them

things that are not made or written by people that are and were alive or in existence

and that existence is its own evidence,

ie bones, artifacts, land etc not books words and stories or anything thats based soley on the word of other people

peoples 'facts', aka opinions, differ, sometimes greatly, and what one person says may not be what another agrees with or sees to be true even if they witness the very same event of hear the very same sound

its all a mattter of perspective and any writtne documents of someones view on someothing or someone is NOT evidence of wht they are saying to be fact

this is why witness testimony is not soly relied upon in court, physical evidence always has to support it

give us actual physical evidence not some game of thousand year old perpetual chinese whispers

and i feel the exact same way about any other man made supposed historical, especially written,evidence of any other religious figure or whatever
2008-02-24 06:17:41 UTC
I'm willing to accept that he may have walked the earth one day, I'm more interested in these "miracles" he performed. Who were these masses of followers that witnessed his miraculous life? Are they the same masses that wrote the Bible? How can we be certain he just wasn't performing magic tricks?

Also, the Jews recognizing him as "sent from God" means nothing to me because that is a logical fallacy called an argument from authority.
atheist crusader
2008-02-24 06:24:08 UTC
simple, the bibles earliest writtings where found to be about the time of 600 bc, now at that time people where still flirting with polythesism, until Yaewhea was mentioned as the one true god. now this was essentially done to unite the population of isreal. as it happens the bible has a lot of historcal innaccuracies, i would not doubt that a man called jesus walked the earth, but there would have been a lot of men called jesus, as it was (and still is ) a very popular middle eastern name. now whether jesus was the man of god i seriously doubt. i beleive that jesus was the first known case of "son of god" syndrome. who genuinley thought he was the son of god. the bible itself has had loads of writers which all contribute centuries after the death of jesus. an example of this is that revelation was written at about 567 AD. the entire bible is based on chinese whispers and folk tales. do you SERIOUSLY beleive that the dead have risen again there may be more physical evdence of a man called jesus, but compare that to the evidence toward evolution and the non existance of any kind of deity, and i'm sorry but the whole idea of religion is blown out of the water
2008-02-24 06:21:57 UTC
I have yet to see ANY genuine evidence that Jesus ever existed.

You make bold claims, maybe you have convinced yourself but you have convinced no others.

Direct us to these 'documented writings'. Where are they? Or are they the same as the ossuary of james, site of Noah's Ark and the Turin Shroud? All proven fakes.

Facts are facts and the truth is the truth. Wanting fiction to be fact, because it suits your thinking patterns, does not make it so.

The Egyptian Pharoahs and the Roman Caesars have MUCH more written and recorded information than a probable invented Jesus.

Check out the story of Horus and compare? But I know that you won't, because you don't WANT to know the truth. You WANT to believe that all you were taught as a very young child is true. Dream on.

Your input can only be classified as ... what's a nice kind word that I can use? ... waffle.
2008-02-24 06:50:08 UTC
Hey Shabou. I never said Jesus never lived. I have no doubt he did live. My denial is that he was the son of a god and a virgin mother. The whole story was probably made up by a guilt ridden pregnant girl, who couldn't name her baby daddy.

Where is Maury, when you need him?

MISTAKEN "Jews recognize him as sent from God." God doesn't exist. You can quote me on that.

The dead sea scrolls don't prove that God exists any more than "Alice in Wonderland" proves that a Cheshire Cat exists. Without proof of God, there can be no proof that he fathered Jesus or anyone else.
2008-02-24 06:23:50 UTC
There is NO verifiable documented evidence that Jesus ever lived, where did you pick up that idea?

There IS considerable (verifiable) evidence that a large number of "charismatics" were circulating around that time, performing "amazing feats" for money, and that both Luke and Saul ["Paul"] (authors of much of the New Testament, neither of whom actually met "Jesus") may have used the stories told about these people to piece together their stories of the Christ-figure...

Your final sentence:

"There is more physical evidence of him and "his works" than there are of the Pharoes & Ceasars."

...is a COMPLETE fiction!
2008-02-24 06:23:04 UTC
There are proof of a man named krishna who did some miraculous things, there's proof a man named buddha, there's pyramids that predate the religion of the jews with more proof of other gods. Still, why do you want me to believe you're version of truth, when all religions are equally true?
Lily
2008-02-24 06:20:50 UTC
I don't debate that a man named Jesus existed. I'm sure millions of men named Jesus have existed at some point in history, and it's logical that one existed at the time that the bible suggests.

Maybe he was a pretty cool guy, and helped people. Maybe he was a magician. But there is no proof that he was a magical son of a god, and was born to a virgin mother.
2008-02-24 06:16:38 UTC
He may have lived. Jury is still out as all of these sources are *not* reliable, and some documents came about after the church came into power -- rather suggestive.

But whether he lived or not is moot. He is not the son of god. He was not the son of a virgin. He was not resurrected. None of those things are possible. His life does nothing to "save me from sin." I would be better off following Gandhi, whose life is more fully documented and about whom no belief in mythology is required.

.
Stainless Steel Rat
2008-02-24 06:59:02 UTC
Well I guess no one is buying your statements about a real and historical jesus. Seems that everyone has refuted your claims with very little trouble. I especially liked NuMummy's answer. She is plain spoken,but accurate in her judgement without being arrogant or mean. When she writes I can hear her accent in my head. It's funny.
IAMRATIONAL
2008-02-24 06:17:33 UTC
Of course we have known that Jesus probably existed, and the existence of sources outside the bible confirm this fact. However we just don't believe that he was a cosmic Jewish zombie that will save you if you telepathically tell him that you submit to him. During that time period there were "saviors" running all around the place didn't you know? All of them also claim to have been the one true god, the savior of mankind, and they also had followers and their followers swore that they did miracles.
Earl Blue
2008-02-24 06:16:27 UTC
I personally think Jesus is an historical figure.

When it comes to miracle, though, I require higher standard of proof than some written report of them
Coocoockachoo
2008-02-24 06:15:10 UTC
There is no physical evidence that this man named Jesus was magical.

He could be a magician like the Egyptian magicians for all we know. A less educated crowd in those times could easily take such tricks and illusions to be real.
?
2008-02-24 06:20:39 UTC
well of course jesus himself existed, but his works have no proof except for the bible. and thats not saying much, its written by a bunch of ppl who all wasted their time to worship him. and what happened with that, basically nothing, they just wrote a book that anybook company can now process and make millions off of since its the highest selling book in the world. he's dead now, he's not alive again, cause thats impossible. truth be told, he was probably just stolen out of his tomb by "followers", romans, or ppl who HATED him.
2008-02-24 06:15:58 UTC
How do we know this is a historical fact?

Becasue the bible?

The koran was also a historical fact so...

how do you explain that?

Mabee jesus was a mad man who some thought had powers...

This is coming from a christian.
2008-02-24 06:57:32 UTC
The bible also says that Noah carried two of every animal. It must be Historical Fact since the BIBLE SAYS SO!
2008-02-24 06:18:14 UTC
Say again?

I've seen coins with different caesars heads.... I've seen the bloody PYRAMIDS...

There is no extrabiblical credible evidence of Jesus even existing... much less miracles. And it's completely illogical to assume otherwise.
fdm215
2008-02-24 06:15:47 UTC
Religious people are free to frame their beliefs as they see fit. That doesn't mean it's a FACT. People in Europe used to believe the Earth was flat..if some STILL believe that, does that make it a FACT? Of course not.
anarcho3
2008-02-24 06:15:28 UTC
Heh, but none of it (especially not the dead sea scrolls) shows that jesus was a real person instead of just a popular fiction or metaphorical character.
murderXmayhemXmadness
2008-02-24 06:16:58 UTC
I'm not even Atheist and you sound like a moron. Why can't Christians ever just shut the hell up? You people are the whacked one's who are pissed off because you give up everything for God and the rest of us live our lives. Get over it.
2008-02-24 06:15:39 UTC
I am willing to assume a man that sprouted the myth existed.

However, I don't think there is really any historical evidence.
?
2008-02-24 06:17:13 UTC
thats fine

i never sed there was never a nutjob called jesus wanderin round israel.

if some guy wandered round telling people how to live their lives good and honestly then fine

but he aint born from no virgin

and he aint no god!!!
☮ Pangel ☮
2008-02-24 06:16:11 UTC
" There is more physical evidence of him and "his works" than there are of the Pharoes & Ceasars "

that part is simply not true ... not by a long shot
Old Grumpy Cranky
2008-02-24 06:15:48 UTC
I could say the same thing about Rev. Billy Graham
2008-02-24 06:15:44 UTC
There's evidence there was a man named Jesus Christ, yes. There's no evidence he performed miracles. There's more evidence of David Blaine being holy because he can float in the middle of the street. Thanks muchly. :)
Veni, Vidi, Monki, VVM, DDS, PHD
2008-02-24 06:15:28 UTC
Still waiting for Bilbo Baggins (historically documented FACT) to give me my ring back.
2008-02-24 06:14:48 UTC
No. There is not more evidence. Jesus the person probably did exist. He's dead now, though.
Maria - Godmother II of the AM
2008-02-24 06:14:39 UTC
Actually, there is NO proof of Jesus ever existing. His 12 boyfriends can be tracked down, but NOT Jesus.

And then, even if there was proof of Jesus existing, please tell me exactly where the proof is that he's god's son, then tell me the proof that he is THIS god's son, then explain to me what the bible has to do with it, then tell me why I should worship him, and why he is my only hope.

So? Waiting?
2008-02-24 06:16:14 UTC
I don't dispute that, I just don't believe he was the son of "god" or believe there is a god(s)......................He was just a man, with some good ideas. Nothing more, nothing less.
2008-02-24 06:15:20 UTC
What historical facts? the fakes, or the forgery?
2008-02-24 06:14:53 UTC
the jews did not regonise him as sent from god they said he was blasphemous
2008-02-24 06:15:26 UTC
Yes, the bible says that the bible is true.

We are aware of this.
2008-02-24 06:14:57 UTC
can you give us a link to those documents please ??