Question:
Should I believe in God?
Colin23
2009-01-16 09:19:45 UTC
It seems I've had two very improbable occurrences happen and I'm in no way religious....
The month was April and I was 12 and had a massive project due. I tended to slack off and assumed that giving myself two days would be enough. It wasn't.
On the final night I worked as long and hard and still needed at least another night. I looked outside my window and noticed that there was still a few small snow piles on my street from the winters large snowfall. I got desperate and fell to my knees and prayed right then and there for a snow day.
1) It's April and hasn't snowed for a month and a half.
2) It's not even cloudy out.
When I awoke the next morning, 3 inches of snow had fallen! Hardly enough for a snow day, but then it rained from 3 in the morning until the current time of 7. The entire area was blanketed in an ice sheet. School was canceled.

Another one occurred while I was playing football on my high school team. It was a playoff game and we needed to win or we were out. The score is 13-1 with 4 minutes left in the 4th. We hadn't done anything all game and our three running backs (myself included) were unusually off our games. On 1st down our QB was sacked and I thought that pretty much sealed the deal looking at a long 2nd down conversion (CFL rules). I turned to the fence and bowed my head and prayed for God to give me a chance, just a chance. Some how we converted the 2nd down and on a broken play our QB passed to our 3rd string RB who somehow got across the goal line with 1:30 left. We went for the onside kick and got it. We marched down the field to the 5 yard line with 15 seconds left and 1 timeout. We put in our power running back and he was stopped with 5 seconds left. Our coach called time out and walked over to me and told me I was responsible to get the ball in the end zone (remember the chance?). I'd been stuffed all day, so I was a little worried, but still confident. First play was a hand off to me and I ran it in for the score and the victory.

Sometimes you get a little curious to how these things keep happening...
Nineteen answers:
BRoth
2009-01-16 09:28:57 UTC
The Bible says that even nature itself cries out of God's glory... but evolutionists can explain that one away. I've found that if you're trying to prove God to yourself based on experiences in life, it's always going to come down to how you interpret them. If you think it's possible that chance created this entire universe... why wouldn't that kind of chance work for your two circumstances? Go play the lottery and feel good about knowing nothing matters.

What if, however, you based your search for God on MORE than just chance, happenings, and random experience? What if you began to really seek and search all avenues with a completely open mind? Now THAT sounds like a pretty good way of going about it to me.
Jack Kilrain
2009-01-16 09:59:18 UTC
Believing in God on the basis of the outcome of a football game is not the right reason. You're very sincere though, and I'll give you three evidences for God's existence, and then divert you to some websites for more information, if you choose.

1. The appearance of design in the known universe doesn't indicate the rolling of cosmic dice, it implies a designer, an old but commonsensical argument that thinking people can recognize immediately. A designer implies a creator, and a creator implies God.

2. Absolute morality. The universal, conscious knowledge human beings have that there are actions that are absolutely right or absolutely wrong. It seems to transcend human thought, which points to a moral law giver who determined for mankind what these absolutes would be. If one denies moral absolutes, then they can't say it is wrong for someone to to steal their car, because although they think it is wrong, it isn't absolutely wrong according to their own worldview, and subject to moral interpretation.

3. The mind/body problem. Atheism claims that physical matter is all that exists. If so, where then do the laws of logic come from? Logic isn't physical matter, nor is reason, nor is rationality, nor is love. How are these things explained by random chemical reactions in the brain? Also, if logic is not absolute, then it isn't really logic, nor is it particularly useful. Where do logical absolutes come from? Again, they transcend physical reality, which again, points to a giver of logic, which implies God.

Here is a bit more information:

http://www.allaboutcreation.org/does-god-exist.htm

http://www.gotquestions.org/get-right-with-God.html
Mike
2009-01-16 09:40:58 UTC
I assume your question is asking whether these occurrances could be miracles, or at least divine intervention.

First ask yourself WHY God would give YOU what you want at the expense of others (the other team, and the people who wanted there to be school)?

Second, what qualifies as a miracle, then? It would seem the best outcomes from your scenarios would have been that you miraculously gained knowlege and finished your work in time for school, and that your football team played a fair, enjoyable, safe contest which satisfied everyone.
FormerBoy
2009-01-16 12:28:36 UTC
People believe what they want to believe; they set up their analysis to support a conclusion they have already reached. You start by talking about two “very improbable occurrences” : somewhat unseasonal weather caused a school cancellation to the delight of an unprepared student who felt his prayers had been answered. A football team won a dramatic come from behind victory to the delight of an athlete who felt his prayers had been answered because he was instrumental in the victory. Your initial premise is faulty. It is not improbable for somewhat unlikely events to occur, in fact it is inevitable that they will. That two such events happened to one person is also inevitable. That the one person happened to be you seems special, but only to you.

Jack Kilrain provides an answer for you with “evidence” for God that uses similarly faulty reasoning. In reason 1 he refers to the rolling of the cosmic dice, as if this were the atheists’ belief that he is contradicting. No, atheists believe in natural laws, like gravity and natural selection and see that the universe is organized by the persistent effect of these laws, not chance. In his reason 2 he talks about absolute morality. There is no such thing. Morality varies significantly between cultures and individuals. Some people feel guilty about not beating their wives and giving them too much freedom. In reason 3 he says that atheism claims that physical matter is all that exists…well, no, “atheism” doesn’t make claims and most atheists believe in non-tangible reality, such as natural laws, so again Jack is cheating--setting up the analysis with faulty facts included to support his conclusion.

Should you believe in God? Well, if you are having trouble in the real world, then maybe you do need religion…or drugs, or whatever works for you. God isn’t true, but Truth is just truth; you don’t have to worship it. In fact, most people feel they do better without it and can construct a case for faith out of far less than that which our dear Lord, in his mercy, chose to give to you.
jeffrcal
2009-01-16 09:35:55 UTC
If someone crashed his car on the icy conditions and perhaps was injured or killed than what does that say? What about the team you were playing? Were they not sincere enough, good enough, deserving enough? Are you so important that God should change the weather and fix a sporting match for your benefit? What about Lance Armstrong, a self declared atheist who won the Tour de France many times? Didn't many believers he was racing against also pray for a victory?
allene
2016-05-29 01:31:02 UTC
Only God knows.
goodman
2009-01-16 09:56:36 UTC
So you think that this storybook character gave you snow and a touchdown but wont give food to the starving? Wow! You must be the second coming. Maybe you should pray for something less selfish and see how much reality is tied in to your experience.

Believe in yourself and pay attention to weather forecasts. Same effect.
dethmiayr
2009-01-16 09:26:54 UTC
2 random occurrences over a span of 5 or so years, how does that give any evidence to god. How many times did you pray and not get help? Odd acts of nature or luck in a sports game is no reason to believe in god.
2009-01-16 09:30:27 UTC
Some call it GOD, Some call it Luck.

Im glad you were lucky to have a Snow day, and found it in yourself to win the game, Congrats.
2009-01-16 09:25:45 UTC
No. They are coincidences. Human psychology tends to work that way; we remember convenient coincidences and tend to forget the misses. How many times did you need a little extra time and DIDN'T have school, canceled, for instance? You don't notice those events because they aren't noteworthy--they happen all the time.
2009-01-16 09:24:35 UTC
You should believe in God because you feel it is what's right for you.

That being said, God does not act in the world of form so I don't think it's a good idea to believe in God because you feel like He's helping you in this world.
2009-01-16 09:27:11 UTC
So, you're saying that the other team should not believe in God because of what happened?

Love and blessings Don
2009-01-16 09:25:58 UTC
So basically you think God might be helping you out with schoolwork and football but he's not helping those who are dying of starvation in third world countries.

Nice job, God.
Kinae
2009-01-16 09:27:37 UTC
God likes to give you a snow day and let you win the game for your school.

He also likes to starve kids in Africa.

He LOVES cancer!
Steve T
2009-01-16 09:24:15 UTC
If there were a benevolent god ruling the planet things would be a lot better than they are.
2009-01-16 09:27:44 UTC
If you want to believe in God, believe in God.

Pretty simple.
Freethinking Liberal
2009-01-16 09:30:13 UTC
the question 'should' is pointless - belief is not a choice. the question is 'do I believe' and that is a question only you can answer.
tampa0608
2009-01-16 09:26:23 UTC
this may not help you but i lost my job and lost my car. but i need GOD

and hope you do.
Gregory
2009-01-16 09:24:34 UTC
god wants you to have salvation through his son jesus