Question:
Non-hebrew speakers who follow the bible, do you like following a book that must be translated for you?
Chris M
2006-03-05 00:06:55 UTC
The original bibles are hebrew texts that were later translated into the language you use.
Ten answers:
2006-03-05 00:13:04 UTC
Actually, only the OT is in Hebrew (except for the Book of Esther which was in Aramaic). The NT was written in Greek.

Hebrew was a dead language a couple hundred years before Jesus was born.
spur4eight
2006-03-05 08:36:13 UTC
I do think that the Hebrew (and Greek) are the best to study, and that it is beneficial to read the original languages, however, the translations are far more valuable in everyday life, because most people DON'T read Hebrew or Greek, and God is able to communicate in any and all languages. It is my fervent hope and prayer that the entire Bible be translated into EVERY language on earth, for the benefit of those that speak/read those languages.

I like the fact that both Greek and Hebrew are 'dead' languages, so the word meanings don't change with the passage of time, and the original language manuscripts are available to "check" the various translations against as they are produced.

Especially as an english speaker/reader, there are so many translations available, that by careful comparison of the various translations, an extremely accurate understanding of the original language's intent is virtually garounteed to the average reader (even if a translator makes a mistake on one version, the odds of all the others making the same mistake are astronomical).

Some translations are better than others, and there are a few that are really bad, I admit, but the fact that there are bad translations does not make the good ones unreliable.
Sorrow_and_Bliss
2006-03-05 09:29:10 UTC
The Hebrew language is the only language that I am aware of which was ever dead, and then "raised" again. ;) It was made the official language of Israel in 1948, after having been "dead" for 2000 years.

The language was never completely dead however. It was the language used for prayers by the Jews (and still is), and most Rabbis over the years would have known Hebrew. Jesus probably knew Hebrew, even if his everyday language was Aramaic.

What is fascinating about the fact that Hebrew has been dead for all those years is that the Hebrew language has not undergone the same amount of changes in these years as all the other languages. It was "frozen in time" so to speak. Modern Hebrew is surprisingly similar to Biblical Hebrew. The two are closer than modern English is to Old English.

Nevertheless there are differences of course. But I have found that Orthodox Jews tend to be able to understand the Bible in Hebrew at least somewhat. Some know it completely.

I only know a little Hebrew. So when I read the Bible, I mostly rely on the translation, but I always read a Bible that has the Hebrew right there so I can check it.

When it comes to the New Testament, I know NO Greek, but I use an interlinear translation, which tells you word-by-word what the Greek says.

So, to me, the translation is very important because scholars know Hebrew and certainly Greek FAR better than me. So I am relying on better scholarship than I would have to if I did not use a translation. However, I know enough to know not to trust the translation blindly.

I am a convert to Hinduism, and it does bother me somewhat that I must rely on translations of the Scriptures. I want to learn Sanskrit so that I won't have this problem. But it doesn't bother me in a spiritual way, just in a "scholarly" way. That is, as a religious studies scholar-to-be I feel the need to learn the original languages of the texts. But as for my spiritual life, I just rely on comparing translations, and I also have access to "interlinear" versions of some of the Hindu scriptures. (where they define each Sanskrit word one-by-one as they occur).

I believe it is important for believers in a Scripture to understand the original text. If they can not learn the language, then they really ought to make use of interlinear versions and the like, or at least compare different translations.
?
2006-03-05 08:27:43 UTC
Not a follower, but a reader. I am learning Hebrew and Aramaic for just that reason. The Greek is not as important to me as the passages by Greek speakers, including Paul are where Christianity went astray (in my opinion). Hebrew is particularly important as certain parts of the Torah have lost meaning in translation due to poor understanding of the meaning of certain letter combinations and individual connotations of letters that are not translated with a direct translation of the word as a whole.

When God spoke the "Word", he put EVERYTHING into it. Each sound had power, not just the word as a whole. Would that all writers or speakers took such care!
originaltigger61
2006-03-05 08:26:45 UTC
Don't forget Aramaic and Greek. I have no problem following most translations, but I personally like using Greek study guides, etc. We are told to verify and to study what we believe...like the Bereans. I wouldn't take anything at face value, but the translations of the Bible are extremely accurate. There is some things like the words 'another and other' that need to be fully understood in the Greek in order to fully comprehend what is meant. Since there are many words that we translate as other or another, the Greek language has words that mean another of the same kind, another of a different kind, another of a similar kind, etc. I try to search for answers rather than have others tell me what to believe.
cathy
2006-03-05 08:52:12 UTC
No, but unfortunately, I speak neither Greek nor Hebrew. I do speak Italian and French and prefer reading books in the original language if I can.

Are you offering Hebrew lessons to non-Jews, perhaps???
Kenlas
2006-03-05 08:25:15 UTC
I don't like following a book at all. As a matter of fact I tried it once. There was no conversation, no new sights to see, just a lot of sitting around.

Then again, I do enjoy thinking about the ideas in all books that I come across that I read. To me, the teachings in the Bible are meant to be lessons and taken to heart to have personal meaning given to them. That way a person can make up thier own mind about God and how they fit in the world.
Cosette
2006-03-05 08:57:24 UTC
If you are really interested, read all versions, and study differences between them carefully. I am personally against "following" a book. I think the right thing to do is read books, then make up your own beliefs about what you've read and follow that!
jake
2006-03-05 08:50:43 UTC
Its frustrating because I know stuff was lost in translation, but better translated than not I suppose.
.45 Peacemaker
2006-03-05 10:08:44 UTC
Well, I have been pondering learning Greek, but just keep putting it off. It doesn't bother me.