Question:
Jesus Christ is all of God to us and One with God. Then why did He say the Father is greater than Him?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Jesus Christ is all of God to us and One with God. Then why did He say the Father is greater than Him?
40 answers:
2009-05-08 05:56:38 UTC
He said that when he was human...
2009-05-08 04:30:16 UTC
John says; 'And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.' This is the meaning of Colossians 2:9 where we are told, 'For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form.' His glory is manifested through human flesh.

HOWEVER, when He came to earth, that glory was tabernacled within a human body, and veiled to an extent. But when He returned to the Father, He returned to the full display of glory that was His with the Father for all eternity.

We have only had glimpses of the glory of God in Christ in Scripture. One glimpse of this was when Paul was on the road to Damascus, and he was confronted by the resurrected Christ. Paul is blinded by the awesome display of glory. Hebrews 1:3 says, '...He is the exact representation of His nature... .' It means 'the impression made by a dye or seal.' It is an impression, or an exact replica.

Do you want to see the glory of God? You look at Jesus Christ because He is the image of the Father.
Jaye16
2009-05-08 04:30:03 UTC
Jesus was not God in the flesh, but God's son. Christ is called the begotten son of God. To beget means to produce or bring into being.

The belief in a Trinity started around the time of Constantine, he had a huge effect on the Christian religion at that time.

**It also seems that confusion only starts to arise when reading the words attributed to Paul of Damascus. Does it not seem strange that no other books in the bible lean towards this belief?

Why would Paul who never knew Jesus in the flesh, have such a deep understanding of the trinity yet none of the other disciples where honored with this belief or concept? Red flag anyone?

God Bless!

Your friendly Christian heretic. :)
2009-05-08 04:28:08 UTC
Jesus Christ was NOT God himself, because God is a spirit & God can NOT die, But God did dwell in Jesus without measure.
Kitteh-n-Da Red Hoodz
2009-05-08 04:26:38 UTC
YHWH created Jesus-YHWH is his father,Jesus is His son-it is what it says-don't add to it or take words away-they are seperate.The Holy Spirit is YHWH's.
Isthatso
2009-05-10 11:20:03 UTC
Jesus as the Son of God is saying that the Father is greater in the office and in the Trinity. The Father is the first person in Trinity and the Son is the second person in Trinity, but we are talking about the same God here.

Yes, Jesus changed the status when He ascended into heaven. He is not 100 % human anymore, now He is in the right hand of God and that means that He is in His full glory. Jesus is the Almighty God.
djmantx
2009-05-08 12:34:31 UTC
Jesus is the Son who became flesh. Jesus is God who became a man.

Jesus the man was in the flesh and in submission to the spirit which is the very way we are created first flesh and then spirit and the flesh should be in submission to the spirit. We are made in the triune image of God.
Nora Explora
2009-05-08 05:58:44 UTC
A lot of points to consider in one bite Bro. but I will try to address this in a coherent way.

Jesus is our Lord and intercessor with the Father, if we choose to except Him. Jesus, The Father and the Holy Spirit are one in purpose, however they are three separate individuals or personages.

Before His physical birth in the median of time Jesus was a personage of spirit as is the Holy Spirit. God the Father is an exalted personage who's soul is perfected (infinite and absolute) and eternal. He is the father of our spirits and the creator of our physical bodies through our first parents (Adam and Eve). In this way God the Father is greater than His son Jesus.

Jesus did change in status when He ascended to the father. Remember that he told Mary not to touch Him as He had not yet ascended to the Father? At that point he was not yet resurrected; meaning the spirit was not yet reunited with the perfected body. After His ascension Jesus not only appeared to several individuals but also ate with them. This was a demonstration that He was then a perfected soul.

Just a side thought - It has always touched my heart that Jesus, who could have had a completely perfect body chose to retain the scars of the crucifixion as a sign to us of His love for us.
Jem M
2009-05-08 05:10:33 UTC
In a sense the Father was greater than Christ when He made himself subject to earthly and bodily limitation.

But He also undertook the role of a Servant and Mediator to be the Saviour of Gods elect, by living and dying for them.

Now He is exalted and worshipped by men and angels, His supremacy will soon be seen by all, and all acknowledge Jesus Christ Is Lord
gatita
2009-05-08 08:00:32 UTC
In spite of the claim of the Roman Catholic Church the doctrine of the trinity is not found in the Holy Scriptures. Traditional Roman Catholics generally believe : It is impossible to believe explicitly in the mystery of Christ, without faith in the Trinity...Wherefore just as, before Christ, the mystery of Christ was believed explicitly by the learned, but implicitly and under a veil, so to speak, by the simple, so too was it with the mystery of the Trinity.

Yet, the Roman Catholics also teach that their trinity did not clearly come from the Bible and cannot be fully understood : In Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together....The Vatican Council has explained the meaning to be attributed to the term mystery in theology. It lays down that a mystery is a truth which we are not merely incapable of discovering apart from Divine Revelation, but which, even when revealed, remains “hidden by the veil of faith and enveloped, so to speak, by a kind of darkness” Thus, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that the trinity is a mystery and not a biblical term, but only a revealed doctrine. The modern trinity was revealed through several councils, the first one called for by a pagan Emperor.

The true baptismal formula is found in the following scriptures : Matthew 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost:"

Mark 16:15-16 "And he said unto them, go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

John 3:5 "Jesus answered, verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God."

Luke 24:47 "And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in HIS NAME among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."

Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."

Acts 9:18 "and immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized."(Pauls Baptism).

Acts 10:47-48 "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days."

Acts 18:8 "And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized."

Acts 19:3-5 "And he said unto them, unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, unto Johns baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, Christ Jesus. When they heard this they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."

Acts 22:16 " And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.?

Galatians 3:27 "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ."

Ephesians 4:5 "One Lord, one faith, one baptism."

The early Christian Church always baptized in Jesus Name immediately following conversion.

Emperor Constantine as a pagan worshiped a pantheon of gods. Thus

Constantine’s conversion to Christianity was nothing more than a political move and was not genuine as evidenced by the fact he was not baptized until just before his death. Some claim it was the practice of the day to delay one’s baptism until just before death. In other words, it was typical of Christianity of the day, to do what Constantine did. He was the norm, not the exception. However, this claim is in direct contradiction of the necessity of baptism immediately following conversion.

In Christ,

gatita_63109
Friend
2009-05-10 20:39:31 UTC
In John 14:28 Jesus is not speaking about His nature or His essential being. It is critical that we emphasize the distinction between the Greek words for greater ( meizon ) and better ( kreitton ). Jesus specifically said " The Father is g r e a t e r than I " not, " The Father is better than I "

The word 'greater' is used to point out to the Father's great position in heaven, and not a greater nature. The Son and the Father are equal and the same in nature, the God nature. The office is different. The Father is the first person in Trinity and the Son is the second person in Trinity.

Had the word 'better' been used, however, this would indicate that the Father has a better nature than Jesus.

This distinction is made clear in Hebrews 1:4, where " better" is used in regard to Jesus' superiority over the angels. The word " better" in this verse indicates that Jesus is not just higher than the angels positionally; rather, He is higher than the angels in His very nature. Jesus is different ( better ) in kind and in nature from the angels.

This distinction between " greater " and " better " can be illustrated in the president of the USA. The president is in a higher position than the rest of us. Therefore, the president is greater ( meizon ) thatn the resto of us. HOwever, he is still just a human being - and thus he is not better ( kreitton ) than the rest of us.

NOTICE something very important, Jesus NEVER used the word " better regarding His relationship with the Father, for He is NOT inferior or lower in nature than the Father. Rather, Jesus used the word ( "greater " ) that points to the Father being higher in position ONLY.

During the time of the incarnation, Jesus functioned in the world of humanity, and this nesseciated Jesus being lower than the Father positionally
?
2009-05-08 16:06:30 UTC
WHEN JESUS WAS MANIFESTED IN FLESH.AS MAN IN FLESH

( IN HUMAN FORM) THE FATHER WOULD BE TO MAN. ( A HEAVNENLY FATHER

BUT JESUS SAID

In John 8:58 Jesus says, "before Abraham was, I Am

John 10:30 "I (Jesus) and the Father are One

merican Standard Bible (©1995)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

http://bible.cc/john/1-1.htm

I am the Alpha and the Omega.

Revelation 22:13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first andI am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. American King James Version I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, ..

.bible.cc/revelation/22-13.htm - 17k

FATHER/ SON/ HOLY GHOST// HOSPODE . GOD

People's New Testament

19:4 John verily baptized. His baptism was (1) of Repentance; (2) of Faith in a coming Savior. Christian baptism is (1) of Repentance; (2) of Faith in a Savior that has come, died, risen, and been exalted to the heavens; (3) is into the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit; (4) enjoys not only the promise of remission of sins, but of the gift of the Holy Spirit

http://bible.cc/acts/19-4.htm

IC XC NIKA

Greek Orthodox Katholikos ( Gr, Universal) Christian of the Greek

Septuagint First NT Of the World

The Septuagint Bible OnlineEnglish Translation of the Greek Septuagint Bible. The Translation of the Greek Old Testament Scriptures, Including the Apocrypha.

Jonas - III Maccabees - Ecclesiastes - Sirach

www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/ - 34k
Rocky Squirrel
2009-05-09 06:03:21 UTC
"Jesus Christ is all of God to us and One with God. Then why did He say the Father is greater than Him?"

Remember that Jesus is the Great Mathematician. A lot of His concepts are mathematical in nature, including this one. Imagine a Venn diagram.

(Example: http://www.learnnc.org/media/glossary/venndiagram.jpg)

The Trinity is like a Venn diagram with 3 circles having a common intersection. The union of circles we call the "God Head." Each separate circle we call the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are One in the fact that share a common intersection. The Father can be greater than the Son (in some aspect) if the circle of Father is larger than the Son's circle.

Gaita, an answerer above, makes a terrible error in saying the doctrine of the trinity is not in the Bible, or that the Bible never mentions the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in one spot as being one. The Roman Catholic Church is not stupid. I am thinking of Matthew 28--the Great Commission. In this verse, Jesus says "baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." Jesus specifically uses the word "name", not "names". "Name" is singular. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one name. In the Hebrew naming convention, unlike Western naming convention, a name is representative of one's physical nature.

The Hebrew word for God is "Elohim". Elohim is plural. It means majesties. The shema (Deu 6), "The Lord God is one." Means "Elohim is one". Plurality is one.

While the word "trinity" is not in the Bible, the doctrine of the trinity is definitely there, in about two dozen places.
2009-05-08 05:05:15 UTC
They are all one God. Father is the Creator, Son is the Saviour, Holy Spirit is the Counselor. The Father created the people, the Son saves the people by His death and resurrection, the Holy Spirit guides the people to the Father and the Son through the Church.

Jesus said the Father is greater than He is because He was a human at that time speaking about our eternal Creator. When reading the NT and Jesus' words, you have to know when He is speaking as God and when He is speaking as man. That makes a huge difference in understanding His meaning(s).
TheAsender
2009-05-10 06:03:07 UTC
The father who created modern man and is worshiped as God is not the Spiritual Creator or Supreme Love/Energy of the universe or what ever name you wish to call the unexplainable. All of the Gods who came out of antiquity were living Gods, including El or Yahweh or what ever name you want to use. They savored the sweet smell of the roasting meats, they were flesh and blood just as we are and were mortal just like the man they created. So this holy trinity makes no senses at all, the only truth is we are all part of the Supreme Creator on an equal basis. You say how can I say such a thing, well I died and was reborn again in Spirit just like Yeshua/Jesus taught, as I know he experienced the same thing, How check my web page for the knowledge and truth

http://TheAsender.com
Peter
2009-05-10 17:25:30 UTC
To keep the torah. The lord Jesus. Yahshua taught to honor his heavenly father in keeping the 10 commandments.

Regard the ascention. Jesus promised that he must go so that the comforter may come, so all could receive the holy spirit in time.

The apostles did not want him to depart. They knew he returned as he promised he would.

The holy spirit some confuse as they do not read the scriptures thoroughly to understand. Also some feel the oneness of G-d occurs. The Hebrew name has specific name for G-d Almighty. They do not read the gospels, dictionaries to understand the oneness of G-d in Father son and holy spirit.
neville r
2009-05-08 15:01:23 UTC
Hi, Jesus was God in the flesh John Ch 1, the Word as total creator became human v's 1-3 and 14. His body needed food, water and rest and was subject to death when He accepted our sin. He could walk on water and do miracles showing His God nature. On earth the two were separable. Some have attacked the trinity but they fail to read all scripture. Revelation 1:8 Alpha/Omega is the Almighty, v's 17ff Alpha/Omega is the one who is alive and was dead and is alive forever clearly Jesus. There are many more texts proving Jesus was the creator in the flesh like Heb ch 1. False prophets and cults argue against the trinity to get a following of those who do not know the truth. nev r email me for more if you want.
?
2009-05-08 04:43:16 UTC
So what are you saying. That they are one or two. Because they are definitely two. and one of God's great problems with us is that we leave him out. Yes, Jesus is his chosen one. He has been given authority by God to rule over the earth, in the days to come. We can not get to the Father unless we go through the Son. Glory goes to God, through the Son. They are as one and it states that they were always together, when creation began, while he was on the earth and then when he was resurrected and Revelation explains the reign he (Jesus) will take ruling a new earth. God states to include the Son, to get to him, so that is not detracting. Those who leave out Christ are giving their alms directly to God, which is the opposite of what Christians are taught, which detract the creator and give all glory to the Son. I believe if they ask God to direct them into finding what it was he wants from us, they will get their answers. This borders on personal relationships with God and will be sorted out between God and the Individual. That is why, what is in your heart is so important, because of misinformation and the lack of ability to understand some instances of scripture to its fullest context. That's also why God is judge.
lebron'sclone
2009-05-08 14:05:00 UTC
Because he came from the Father. He didnt make himself. He's a piece of the Father so the Father is greater. Thats like me saying Im greater than Christ but I come from Christ. How can I be greater than the one I come from? He is greater, and Jesus was humble. But in actuality Jesus is equal with God. But Jesus is humble and not full of pride. He knows that God the Father is the greatest. But God the Father has exalted Christ so that he may be praised and honored just as the Father is. Read John my friend.
Josh6
2009-05-08 09:49:19 UTC
The answer is simple. God is Spirit according to what Jesus told the woman at the well in John 4th chapter.

The Holy Spirit comes forth from Jesus as it did on the day of Pentecost to dwell within our heart when we become born-again of the Spirit of God as Jesus said we must do to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Jesus is God's very own Word that became a Man.

God implanted His Word in the womb of the virgin Mary through His Holy Spirit. Jesus did not come from earth (dust of the ground), He came from heaven.

How did He come from Heaven? Through the womb of a woman just like everyone else; except, He is not made from the dust of the ground like everyone else.

That is why the Father is greater than the Son.

Are you not greater than your words? You control your words, what you speak comes from your heart.

Jesus came from the Heart of the Father.

Jesus must remain as a Human Being in Heaven for man to continue to be saved. And when man invites Jesus into his heart to become his Lord and Savior, Jesus sends forth His Holy Spirit to the individual to sustain that one for eternal life.
2009-05-11 01:31:42 UTC
The father is greater than him; naturally as his father was the chief NT writer and Jesus was his literary son, which he invented. This is what believers can't understand because they do not want to accept the truth and therefore so not do the research. It is also the reason why believers are always asking each other questions. As long as that story is taken as truth, when there is no way for it to be true, they will always ask each other foolish questions.
Rev. TomCat
2009-05-10 20:46:31 UTC
without reading all you wrote. Jesus is the son and was given all that God is. God is the Father and the Son was created from and by God, so the natural conclusion would be that Jesus Honored the Father. They were one in Mind and Spirit.

Rev. TomCat
2009-05-09 18:48:43 UTC
the bible says Jesus had the glory he knew before he came to the world after he went back to heaven.

He did not see God as something to be grasped at, as did satan when he was an angel in heaven Lucifer wanted to be God and thru that pride was kicked out of heaven. Jesus was humble and meek. Altho' He still was God. He was human and divine. In his humaness, he humbled himself saying the father is greater than I. We know tho' that trinity, father son and spirit, are all one, all equal, all divine.

I do not try to Understand everything, I just accept it and beleive it. Because of who it is that reveals things to us, He is God we are merely his creation, and by no means are we his equal.

I think that is why Jesus said we had to be like little children. they just believe because they know their parents know more than them and they beleive everything a parent says to a child. we are to be that way with Jesus.
2015-02-18 21:48:34 UTC
not sure but Father God will never tell Jesus when the world will end

God bless all in Jesus name Amen.
Nik Tao - Third Eye
2009-05-09 22:18:00 UTC
CUZ -

HE's THE SON of the ONE.

naught THE ONE - HYMNSELF.

the ONE we call Jesus created FROM THE FABRICWORK of HIS OWN BEING every ATOM of the Universe in which WE LIVE.

there are Tens of Thousands of Universes.

the ONE u an HE speak of is IN CHARGE of ALL

and E V E R Y T H IN G .

Jesus came 2 TELL US --- I AM GOD 4 YU - THE ONE who sent ME

is Greater than I AM evin I and the FATHER are ONE win U seen ME

U seen THE FATHER.
odinsacolyte
2009-05-11 08:35:34 UTC
I don't agree. Jesus was man or there was no point in what he did. any God can come and be God. We are the sons and daughters of God as much as Jesus was. Every bit as much.
mrglass08
2009-05-08 09:20:10 UTC
Paul explains this in Philippians, Christ made himself like nothing in the incarnation but he is still God. So while Christ was here he had limits on his attributes that mark him as God and so at that time the Father was greater.
ROBERT P
2009-05-08 05:03:59 UTC
Although Jesus was fully man and fully God, he did not use his divinity on earth, so when he said the Father was greater than him, he was correct because he was speaking from a human point of view.
LottaLou
2009-05-08 08:28:42 UTC
Because the Father is Greater than Him.

In the beginning, Jesus is the Word of God. God the Father, Word & Holy Spirit is One Creator God.

When the Word of God became flesh & became one of us, He is the Only Begotten Son of God. And He Is the Son of Man. And Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, the Son of Man, the Lamb of God, the Resurrection & the Eternal Life.

When Jesus Is the Word of God in the Beginning, Jesus is God. When Jesus came to earth to be one of us, He left His position as God & became like the first Adam without sin. And He was baptized by the Holy Spirit & overcame the serpents deception... As an example for us.

When He overcame the curse of sin & death for us; He raised up & Thomas said to Him, 'My Lord & my God!'. So Jesus is now God in His resurrected humanity also.

The Holy Spirit is who birthed Jesus in Mary's womb. So the Holy Spirit who comes from the Father in heaven is Jesus' Father.

Jesus said that to see the Kingdom of God & to enter the Kingdom of God, you must be born again. That means to be born of His Spirit & cleansed by His Blood.

Then we are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise unto the Day of Redemption. So the Holy Spirit comfirms in our new born spiritual soul that we belong to Jesus. That we can pray to our Abba Father in Heaven 24/7.

God the Father, Word & Holy Spirit is One Creator God; Who Is from everlasting & Who Is today & Who Is Forever more.

First Created are the Holy Angels. And they are part of the Kingdom of God. And also those redeemed by the Lamb of God are also the Saints in the Kingdom of God. So God reveals to our spiritual soul the Kingdom of God, and answers our questions through the Holy Spirit, who is in us.

So seeking God, we pray to God & God answers. God answers us through His Kingdom Angels or Heavens Saints or earthly Saints still alive in the flesh among us.

And we worship One God in Spirit & Truth (Holy Spirit), The Father & the Son in Spirit & Truth (Holy Spirit).
Non-Syncretic
2009-05-08 08:44:43 UTC
Jesus was incarnate of God and He humbled Himself to become man and in that humility, He identified Himself not as an equal but as a humble God-person. His humility is not to be taken as His weakness.
juphil
2009-05-08 04:26:16 UTC
ok.first Jesus doesnt came back here in this world,only the holy spirit,when Jesus ascended in heaven he became spiritual in form and status,
Gregory
2009-05-08 05:02:50 UTC
while here on earth jesus surrendered his will and made himself a servant to the father.

John 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Jesus came down from heaven. He did not say he was created by God but he came from heaven. The greek word for come down means to descend down from heaven which means he existed in heaven before coming to earth. Since when does a human being like us exist before we are born?

He came to down from heaven to do his fathers will not his own will.

jesus said

John 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

jesus as the servant is not greater then his master. As in the role of servant he was doing the fathers will so he called the father greater then him.

Jesus had the power to raise from the dead just as the father raises from the dead. Jesus also now sits on the the throne of God ruling as God. So is he divine? yes he is. No created being can give life and sit on the throne of God ruling as God unless he is a part of God and divine as God.
2009-05-08 05:49:18 UTC
The doctrine of the Trinity is a serious error.

Jesus Christ is the son of God, never 'God the son' as many Trinitarians say.
loufedalis
2009-05-08 14:42:58 UTC
Because at that time, Jesus was on earth and His Father was is heaven.
HAYAH
2009-05-08 04:27:06 UTC
@"Then why did He say the Father is greater than Him?"

Because His Father is.

It was GOD who told Jesus to sat at HIS right hand, UNTIL GOD make JESUS enemies his footstool.

Psalm 110: 1-(2).....It is GOD who calls the SHOTS! (so to speak).
ominousone8
2009-05-10 21:23:50 UTC
Jesus who ?
MYTH BUSTER Mission Accomplished
2009-05-08 04:21:11 UTC
Krishna and Buddha were Saviors way before Jesus. Anyone who believes Jesus is the only God has never picked up a history book. They also probably believe that European civilization is older than Asian culture. Ignorance is bliss...
2009-05-08 06:21:19 UTC
because Jesus isn't actually God he is God's son.
2009-05-08 04:24:18 UTC
of course, jesus was not thesame person as god, he also said that his father knew things he did not and he was at gods right hand
Claudia
2009-05-08 04:23:43 UTC
it is called the holy trinity....they are all in one...

maybe perhaps a simpler analogy....your arm consists of three parts

hand, elbow,and shoulder...catch my drift

anyways here is a website

watch it

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hOza8GTqk