Question:
How Can You Trust the Bible?
2014-11-15 09:08:20 UTC
Are you aware of any known factual inaccuracies or contradictions?

Have you looked into the evidence (archaeological, bibliographic, historical) that supports the reliability of the Bible?
67 answers:
Nous
2014-11-15 11:08:04 UTC
The first person to produce a single tiny little piece of verifiable evidence for any god will become world famous and mega rich!

Academia states that in the absence of any sort of evidence of the existence of something it must be deemed not to exist until verifiable evidence is found - thus god is held not to exist pending some sort of verifiable evidence.

The bible is what is called "Faction” A fictional story set in a factual time and place. Thus the time, place and real historical characters are all correct but the fictional characters and stories are not!

There is not one single mention of Jesus in the entire Roman record - that is right - not one! At the same time as he was supposed to have been around there were a number of Jews claiming to be the messiah - all of whom are well recorded!

There is not a single contemporary record from any source and even the bible mentions of him like all other references were not written until many years after his supposed death!

He was supposed to have been a huge problem to the Romans and produced wonderful miracles but still not one contemporary record?

Even the bible mentions of him like all other references were not written until many years after his supposed death!

Pilate is recorded in the Roman record as a somewhat lack luster man but no mention of a Jesus, a trial or crucifixion that would surely have been used to make him look brighter!

At best he was an amalgam of those others but almost certainly never existed!

Not one word of it is contemporary with the period and was not written until several hundred years after the period the story is set in!! How did the apostles write their books more than a hundred years after they would have been dead?

Christianity is an invention of the Italians and that is why it came from the Holy ROMAN Catholic church!

Please realize that those claims for the Old historians are worthless since they were not even born until long after everyone in the stories would have been so long dead!

Josephus AD 37 – AD 100

Tacitus AD 56 – AD 120

Suetonius - 69 – 130 AD

Pliny the Younger, 61 AD – 112 AD

Justin Martyr (Saint Justin) AD103–165 AD

Lucian - AD 120 -180 AD but he was hostile to Christianity and openly mocked it.

Pamphilius AD 240-309 AD

Eusebius AD 263 – 339 AD

Photius AD 877 – 886 AD

Thallus - But there are no actual record of him except a fragment of writing which mentions the sack of Troy [109 BC] Showing that he was clearly not alive in biblical times.

Some even try to use Seneca. 4 BCE – 65 CE but as a Stoic Philosopher he opposed religion yet made not a single mention of a Jesus or Christianity!

Even funnier is trying to claim Celsus AD ? – 177 AD Who said that Jesus was a Jew who’se mother was a poor Jewish girl whose husband, who was a carpenter, drove her away because of her adultery with a Roman soldier named Panthera. She gave birth to an illegitimate child named Jesus. In Egypt, Jesus became learned in sorcery and upon his return presented himself as a god.
?
2014-11-15 09:24:04 UTC
I know of the claimed fallacies, but I don't rely on Internet sites to give me half a picture. I study. And, yes, I have checked out the archeological, bibliographical and historical evidence. Not all of it, but I've got the time to keep looking.

So far, I've mustered archeologists claimed Edom never existed, until some found it. (Edom is Esau's descendents. Sure enough, when God said he hated Esau, he really meant it. He destroyed all of Esau's descendents in one fell swoop. They simply disappeared. Their city was invincible. They were too isolated to have some disease wipe them out They simply disappeared for no apparent reason.)

Jonah and the big fish. (It doesn't say whale, despite the ones who claim it can't happen also claim it's a whale, so apparently, they didn't even read the story.) The Nineveh people did exist in that city. The archeology support there was a decline, and then four centuries later it was destroyed. When you contact Encyclopedia Britannica, they can send you documents from the last 150 years proving seafaring men, were swallowed up by one a fish and one a whale, and survived for more than a day and one slightly less than two days, before the creature was captured again, killed, (well, one was captured, the other one died, probably from eating too much, and then washed up on a shore), and the men were rescued alive.

There's also evidence that the Israelites were Egyptian slaves before the pyramids were made, and plenty of evidence (bibliographically, but I'm not talking just the Bible, although the Bible has been proven to count as evidence too) of a guy named Moses who rescued them.

There is plenty of evidence the Bible is what it claims to be, but, if you don't want to believe it, you won't.
?
2014-11-16 03:42:53 UTC
yes I trust the bible

there are no factual inaccuracies or contradictions

I have looked into the evidence (archaeological, bibliographic, historical) that supports the reliability of the Bible
?
2014-11-15 16:36:38 UTC
yes I trust the bible

Nicole
2014-11-15 23:39:38 UTC
yes I trust the bible

Some dude
2014-11-15 09:58:20 UTC
I'm a pretty trusting guy.

I once watched a movie about an alien abduction that I was convinced really happened, simply because it was using amateur footage with a disclaimer at the beginning that everything that happened within the movie was true. Although later research proved it to be false.

Except with the Bible I simply don't care enough to do very thorough research. There's some good information in there and a lot of useless stuff, that's all that really concerns me. My lack of religious affiliation means I don't have to stick to any one system of beliefs as the ultimate truth.

I'm still not convinced that there weren't Taoist priests who could bury themselves alive for years only to later dig themselves up out of the ground. Ninja who couldn't walk on water, turn invisible, and conjure flame / electricity from chi.

Hopi legends claim that many worlds have been created, inhabited by people, and destroyed before this one. I can't say for sure but it sounds plausible.

Aliens, prophecies, ghosts, telepathy, telekinesis, immortality, surviving without food or water, everything a person has ever claimed to do I still believe is possible. Can't rule out any of it.

Heck I'm still not even convinced this entire life is not just a hallucination. Practically every video game I play has glowing mushrooms in it. Makes me think the trip never stopped sometimes.

I'm not one who discredits ideas unless they can be disproven.
yep!
2014-11-17 09:03:54 UTC
Yes, and the historical information such as genelogies, places and people have been proved true through archeological findings bearing these names.

The information contained in it was waaaaay ahead of its time as the Bible book of Leviticus shows with laws by God for ancient Israel on quarantine and hygiene when other nations knew nothing on these scientifically accurate laws.

Including what the Bible said about the earth at Isaiah 40:22 and Job 26:7- that the earth is round and hangs on nothing.

the practical wisdom in it surpasses any counsel because it comes from God says Isaiah 48:17. The Bible contains His thoughts! (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20,21).

Amazing too are the fulfilled prophecies from God recorded in the Bible and proven by secular historians, like the prophecy regarding ancient Babylon and its destruction, even naming 200 years in advance the one God would use to bring it down, and it happened just as God had it prophecied. (Isaiah 13:19,20; 14:22,23 and 44:27- 45:2)

I trust the Bible to be God's word, yes I trust the things He had recorded in it. Yes, I trust that God cannot lie (Numbers 23:19)

The Bible says it is alive and exerts power at Hebrews 4:12, I have seen that in my own life and the lives of many others, all because of the powerful instruction in it and the power of God's Holy Spirit in a person's life, if they want and allow it to be.

Read and study it, do research on it, learn about the author of the Bible. if you do, you'll understand why the bible can be found in more than 90% of the world's population, and in whole or in part in over 1600 languages. The #1 widely published book in the world! Why? Because Almighty God wants people to know Him.

Find out more at JW.ORG
Old Man Dirt
2014-11-16 17:22:07 UTC
Too bad history books don't keep up with the latest developments! Your claims are about 150 years out of date. The only ones who are beating this dead horse are those with an ax to grind and/or need to be published to get an advanced degree.

The Bible is more accurate then you can imagine. The history portion is not even 1/3 of the total work.

Why don't you take on the core issue and prove stealing should be socially acceptable or that it is wrong to respect every one regardless! That it is wrong to cheat and lie.

Prove the core issues wrong on what is right! You can't do it!
king_davis13
2014-11-15 09:42:39 UTC
Adam and Eve had two sons as per the bible. And they were the only four people on the planet as the story goes and everyone on the planet came from them. This means either they had a whole lot more kids than the bible felt like mentioning or the sons had kids with their mother. Either way incest is a necessity for the story to be accurate.

In reality it is impossible for that story to be true so many theists will just accept it as a metaphor and claim that it was just meant to convey an idea. O.K. I can see the point of that but then why was Jesus supposedly sacrificed to forgive their original sin if they were not really true? Christianity falls apart at it's roots at this point so they fight tooth and nail to hold onto this claim and perform impossible mental gymnastics to attempt to explain how the story is even possible.

And then even if you find a way to accept it, why would a god need to send his son to be sacrificed to himself to forgive himself from himself? The whole thing is irrational.

Hope this helps.
geessewereabove
2014-11-15 09:40:32 UTC
ALL OF THE BIBLE IS FACTS! All of the history in the Bible has been confirmed facts from records found in neighboring countries, at least two for each. Plus all the history in Israel!

Over 86% of the predictions in the Bible have happened and 100% facts!

It is ALL the Atheists have been claiming and using that were ALL tested professionally several years ago and ALL tested to be fakes! Has any Atheists ever been able to state Where their very first atom ever came from? Nope! How could the Atheists very first atom have popped out of nothing and made all there is now? Science dose Not know!
?
2014-11-16 14:42:26 UTC
The bible can always be trusted but some theories or interpretations are not to be trusted.

Even some of the comments on here are way out there.

The best way to know is to start a bible study.

Many are doing exactly that with Jehovah's WItnesses.

This article is timely. Especially considering all the governments that have never straightened out the world, though many promises have been made.

A Government Free of Corruption

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20150101/
?
2014-11-19 08:04:39 UTC
The bible should not be read by all. Trust is a gift given in order to understand.
?
2014-11-18 20:05:01 UTC
The bible should not be read by all. Trust is a gift given in order to understand.
?
2014-11-17 15:18:56 UTC
The bible should not be read by all. Trust is a gift given in order to understand.
2014-11-15 09:12:25 UTC
yes I trust the bible

the re - chosen one
2014-11-15 09:27:56 UTC
The food and hygiene laws established 3500 + years ago by the God Yahweh can still be trusted as the truth because of my discovery that they have been based all this time on Yahweh's working knowledge of the germ theory of disease and the modern human body. That means our human scientific knowledge has been catching up to what has been written in The Bible and not what is written in The Bible is obsolete and no longer applies to modern times.
?
2014-11-20 21:14:41 UTC
You can't trust the bible to be any more than a poor example of mythology.

Nothing in there reflects reality, it is all about pretend.
?
2014-11-16 19:35:29 UTC
LIKE MANY BOOKS THE BIBLE ALSO HAS IT'S FLAWS. THE SUN & STARS COULD NOT HAVE BEEN CREATED ON THE 3RD DAY OF CREATION AFTER THE EARTH, THINK ABOUT IT. ALSO THERE ARE 2 CONTRADICTING STORIES OF THE CREATION OF MAN. MANY STORIES MIMIC THE BABYLONIAN TEXT WHICH WAS WRITTEN LONG BEFORE THE BIBLE. THE STORY OF CAIN & ABLE IS SIMILAR TO THE TWO BABYLONIAN WARRING GODS OF AGRICULTURE & LIVESTOCK. UNLIKE THE SORRY ENDING IN THE BIBLE THE TWO GODS MAKE PEACE WITH THEMSELVES. ALSO THE GREAT FLOOD IS KNOWN & WRITTEN IN EVERY CULTURE & ALSO THE BABYLONIAN TEXT LONG BEFORE THE BIBLE. THERE IS ALSO A NOAH LIKE CHARACTER WHO BUILD A SHIP TO SAVE HIS FAMILY & SURVIVED THE FLOOD.

THERE ARE MANY BOOKS THAT WERE BANNED FROM THE BIBLE LIKE THE BOOK OF ENOCH. WOMEN BARELY FEATURE IN THE TEXT. IT IS AS IF THE FEATURED BIBLICAL CHARACTERS ONLY HAD SONS & NO DAUGHTERS
?
2014-11-15 09:33:26 UTC
I have looked into the evidence, fairly extensively. The evidence shows that the stories were written about real places and in many cases real people. It also shows that many of the events couldn't have happened as written, or that some stories were almost certainly invented much later.
?
2014-11-16 18:11:57 UTC
The bible is a story. A religious collation that rode through history doesn't have to be factual to build a faith. I don't understand why people don't get that.
?
2014-11-20 20:50:13 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
2014-11-20 11:22:56 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
Savannah
2014-11-20 02:24:34 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-19 07:13:08 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-19 04:30:19 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-19 03:22:00 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-18 04:56:20 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
2014-11-17 16:19:15 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
2014-11-17 08:31:50 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-16 22:48:00 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
2015-01-28 13:40:18 UTC
“The word 'God' is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this.”

~Albert Einstein
?
2014-11-15 15:12:47 UTC

sandy d
2014-11-15 10:28:16 UTC
No actual gods or devils exist anywhere outside of any ones inculcated minds!!! The only accuracy of historical value is the cities that have always been there every thing else is man made up!!! Public schools educate religions inculcate!!!
SolusLutrinae
2014-11-15 09:35:53 UTC
I do not trust the Bible. There are literally hundreds of contradictions http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html , hundreds of scientific and historical impossibilities http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/science/long.html , and hundreds of absurd statements http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/abs/long.htm . Not to mention tons of tedious ancient legal codes and genealogies for people whose existence cannot be established. And if you don't like hearing it from me, go look up biblical scholar Dr Hector Avalos. He has several talks available online detailing that even biblical scholars don't think the Bible is anything but mythology.
Chris
2015-01-27 10:31:18 UTC
The Holy Spirit inspired the Bible and every time I read it I know it is true.
2014-11-15 09:17:09 UTC

?
2014-11-16 06:57:00 UTC
While it’s clear that the Old Testament has survived pretty much intact because of the Jews’ obsession with accuracy, it’s also clear that the New Testament has been under attack right from the beginning to a point where today we have versions that seem to make no attempt at accuracy, but rather exist to promote the theological views of their authors. This is a fulfillment of prophecy, by the way. Paul warned Timothy that it would happen (2 Tim. 4:3-4)

But the New Testament is still the most thoroughly validated of all ancient writings with over 5000 partial or complete manuscripts to back up its authenticity and accuracy, far more than any other book in existence.

There are 5,686 Greek manuscripts for the New Testament, thousands more than for any other ancient text. Because the copies are so numerous, they can be cross checked for accuracy. This process has determined that the internal consistency of New Testament documents is about 99.5% textually pure. In addition there are over 19,000 copies in the Syriac, Latin, Coptic, and Aramaic languages. The total supporting New Testament manuscript base is over 24,000.

Do you realize the magnitude of the conspiracy that would have to have existed over the centuries in order to pass off an adulterated work as pure? People who promote this kind of nonsense are only able to do so because of people's lack of knowledge about the Bible’s origins and their lack of faith in God’s word.

I view inerrancy as a principle rather than a law in the sense that the few differences that can’t be reconciled aren’t worth arguing about. No legitimate translation differs from any other on the essentials of our faith. But all translations are contaminated by the opinions of their translators, especially in areas where the source manuscripts are not as clear as we’d like them to be, or where words don’t move easily from language to language. I have yet to find a single one that is sufficient unto itself for the serious scholar.

All legitimate translations of the New Testament will leave anyone who undertakes a reasonable amount of study with a crystal clear view of who God is, what’s He’s done for us, and what He expects in return. And since that’s really all that God requires of us, that’s the part He’s protected. I’m willing to leave the rest of it for theologians to debate among themselves.

The Bible is different from all other so-called holy books in that it offers justification for asking that we believe it. This justification comes in the form of fulfilled prophecy. For 4000 years God has been saying he would do something and then doing it, without fail. In Isaiah 44:6-8 He explained to us that this is the way we can tell He is the only God and there is no other. By the way, He has done this in both Old and New Testament times.  The life of Jesus fulfilled over 300 prophecies, and a dramatic example of a prophecy fulfilled in our life time is the re-birth of Israel. There are hundreds of prophecies yet to be fulfilled that concern the end times.

But really, it all boils down to this. If you believe the Bible and it turns out to be wrong, you can always tell God that you took Him at His word. And if there is no God, you won’t be any worse off for knowing that. You’ll only be as dead as when you found out. But those who don’t believe the Bible and find out too late that there is a God, will have to admit that they refused to take His word for things and will suffer an eternity that’s disagreeable beyond imagining. In short believers have nothing to lose by believing and may gain incredible blessings, and unbelievers have nothing to gain by not believing and may suffer incredible punishment. Who are the winners and who are the losers?
2014-11-15 16:46:06 UTC
I trust the bible because God has given me the heart to believe his word. Before I would see the bible and be interested in reading it at all, but then he drew me to himself. So, I do trust the bible because it is from the mouth of almighty God. I trust the bible and by his mercy I do.
2014-11-15 23:28:58 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
Khalil Ullah
2014-11-15 09:11:28 UTC
I used to be like you when I was ignorant and did not even read the BIble.

But because I read and listen to the entire Bible and because I thoroughly investigated the Bible with evidences, not semi-evidences, science, not semi-science, archeology, not semi-archeology, history, not semi-history, that I trust the Bible. Have you?

Science is either neutral or validate the Bible, but not semi-science.
?
2014-11-15 22:26:27 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-15 18:27:56 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
2014-11-15 21:59:01 UTC
You can Trust the Word of God 100%. And they have verified all the Holy Bibles events except the resurrection of Jesus Christ because His body is not on the earth any longer to examine. However, they say they found the shroud His body was wrapped in:

Example: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pharaoh%27s+chariots+on+the+bottom+of+the+red+sea

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=the+shroud+jesus+was+wrapped+in
?
2014-11-20 20:10:45 UTC
Did you read the bible ?
?
2014-11-19 05:07:17 UTC
Did you read the bible ?
2014-11-17 21:19:34 UTC
Did you read the bible ?
2014-11-17 10:03:39 UTC
Did you read the bible ?
2014-11-16 21:54:24 UTC
Did you read the bible ?
2014-11-15 09:10:13 UTC
Juden are chosen people by Satan to lead people to the antichrist. Note that they themselves will not receive mark of the beast, but they want you to receive it. How Juden of them? Juden made up Islam to fight Christians. That's why these two religions are similar. Pork is forbidden. Circumcision is mandatory. Praying is done head down. Praying head down is devil worship according to Orthodoxy. Animals are ritualistically killed for 30 minutes. Hence, Kosher = Halal. Concerning homosexuality, Old Testament law is followed. Forgive me for being rude, but that's what I was taught. Ever heard of Scido amafreikis? It's hard-boiled egg sprinkled with ashes from a cloth soaked in Christian blood. That's what they eat. The rest of Christian remains is given to McDonalds.
2014-11-15 17:28:20 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
Gregory
2015-01-27 03:12:43 UTC
its god's holy word

Are you aware of any known factual inaccuracies or contradictions? no there are none in the bible

Have you looked into the evidence (archaeological, bibliographic, historical) that supports the reliability of the Bible? yes i have
2014-11-15 15:45:37 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-15 09:10:44 UTC
Talking to God Himself about His Word can be very reassuring. That way, you are talking to the one who gave you His Word, and you do not need to lean on your own understanding, or the interpretations of any man, including those total strangers online whose advice you seek.
?
2014-11-16 08:27:26 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
?
2014-11-15 13:38:29 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
Brigalow Bloke
2015-01-28 13:41:59 UTC
Archaeological? Do you mean the late fake Ron Wyatt?
Mackey
2014-11-15 09:11:58 UTC
The same way I trust any work of fiction; I don't.
2014-11-16 16:21:24 UTC
You cant.
?
2014-11-16 01:38:40 UTC
1 Kings 8:9

There was nothing in the ark save the two tables of stone, which Moses put there at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt.

Hebrews 9:4

The ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant.

You tell me, is this a contradiction? Just one simple example found in the Bible.
2014-11-16 01:02:40 UTC

?
2014-11-20 03:10:25 UTC
You cant.