Question:
We all understand that simply calling something fact doesn't make it a fact. But?
Single but not dating :(
2012-04-15 11:26:46 UTC
at the same time, simply calling something a myth doesn't make it a myth! So calling God a myth is invalid.

So if you think there's evidence for God being mythical, then please provide it here. Simply claiming that God is a myth without providing evidence is simply invalid.
Seventeen answers:
2012-04-15 11:29:07 UTC
YOU have to provide the evidence that god is real!

That is like me saying show me proof bigfoot is a myth, and since you will never provide proof, I can say he is real!
?
2012-04-15 11:31:25 UTC
Someone does not realise what a myth is - myths are traditional well known stories with great meaning which may or may not be true. In this way stories ABOUT gods are myths whether they are true or not - gods themselves are not myths because they are entities - not stories.

Myth - a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

Edit - myth is often believed to mean a story which is not true. This is not the case. Events which are completely substantiated get turned into narratives which apply meaning and import and great rhetoric to them and they are called myths.

eg - the Tudor myth - the Tudors existed, they did beat the Yorks and claimed the throne - lots of Yorks did die. The myth is that the Tudors were the ones who deserved to win and that the Yorks were being punished for killing the Lancastors and the Tudor monarchy was fated to be.
Arantheal
2012-04-15 11:31:07 UTC
Whoa, hold on there. Evidence that something is mythical?

That's known as shifting the burden of proof. If you claim a god exists, it's not up to us to show it's mythical but up to you to show it's real.

Edit: Nonsense, there's no evidence to show most myths as false. For example, how do you show the myths of the Australian aboriginals and their dream-time as false? Or the Native American idea of spirits creating everything? You can't any more or less than you can show Judeo-Christian myths as false.
turtles
2012-04-15 11:33:35 UTC
Facts need evidence to back them up. That is the criteria. As far as God being myth, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck. Cultures from all over the world have Gods and creation stories associated with them. All are filled with supernatural elements. If you could gain some distance from your own perspective, you'd see that your God is quite similar to others (in terms of the language of mythology).
Tim
2012-04-15 11:28:46 UTC
Simply claiming that God isn't a myth without providing evidence is simply invalid.

Edit: I am merely pointing out the logical fallacies you portray. I'm not sure how that makes me any less intelligent.

I am not attacking your views, just turning the tables.
Robo kitteh
2012-04-15 11:39:21 UTC
Packer Fan, they aren't avoiding the question, they are pointing out that according to your logic absolutely anything could be real. Therefore all potentially real things (including dragons and Jedi Sith Lords) are equally valid possible things to believe in.

So what would you say to an adult who was convinced Santa Claus was real? Or a school teacher who wanted her class to pray to Apollo?
The Lord of Misrule
2012-04-15 11:30:02 UTC
Fact - anything that fits this definition you are entitled to call a fact

something that actually exists; reality; truth

Myth - anything that fits this definition I am entitled to call a myth

B-Man
2012-04-15 11:30:34 UTC
God is derived from a book of myths, ergo God is a myth.
2012-04-15 11:30:23 UTC
You don't get it, do you?

Until you can show concrete evidence that your magic man exists, he remains a myth. We know how gods were invented by primitive man and yours is just one more example of our superstitious past.
Andrew H
2012-04-15 11:29:16 UTC
Is it valid to call Zeus a myth?

Or do you think Zeus should be given equal footing and respect with the Christian god?
2012-04-15 11:32:57 UTC
oh my god not this again.

You're referring to the burden of proof...*sigh* so boring. It goes something like this;you can't prove god exists and I can't prove that he doesn't exist,but in the end YOU are the one who carries the burden of proof you show us not the other way around
Stiobhan
2012-04-15 11:32:17 UTC
Christians should take this into consideration when they claim only THEIR god is real.
Ceisiwr
2012-04-15 11:29:16 UTC
The idea of the biblical God changes throughout the course of the Bible as does the name, and there seem to be several changes of Deity. For example:

- The God in the Genesis creation story is called Elohim. The Elohim are the sons of El in the Canaanite pantheon. They were ruled by El Elyon (God Most High), and later by Hadad the rain god, who is generally the god referred to by the title Baal (Lord). In Genesis 14:18-22, Abram is blessed by Melchizedek, the Canaanite High Priest of El Elyon and king of Salem, and Abram accepts the god as his. The enemy of the Elohim is Yam (the sea), a chaos monster slain by Baal. This might have been derived from the Sumerian creation epic Enuma Elish, in which the god Marduk battles the great dragon Tiamat (the waters of chaos, and mother of the gods) and divides her body to create the heaven and the earth. In Genesis 1, God's Spirit moves upon the face of the waters (verse 2) and then divides them (verses 6-7). Marduk hangs up his bow after his victory over Tiamat, much as God does in Genesis 9:13 after the Flood.

- In Genesis 14, Abraham is blessed by Melchizedek. the king of Salem that Abraham and other kings have just conquered. Melchizedek was also the High Priest of the "Most High God" of the Canaanite pantheon (El Elyon). Abraham assimilates the attributes of this god into his own.

- When Moses encounters God, God introduces himself as Yahweh (I am who am, I will be what I will be, etc). Continuity with previous beliefs is maintained by the claim to be the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

-Exodus 19:9 makes him appear to be a thunder god - And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the LORD.

-In Exodus he also looks like fire, for example Chapter 19 Verse 18.

-Exodus 34:5, still a storm god - And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

-1 Kings 19:11-12 suggests that God isn't in wind, earthquake or fire, but in a still, small voice - And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

- In Acts 17, Paul further assimilates the attributes of Greek gods into the deity, when he identifies the "unknown god" as the one he is teaching about.
mark_gg_daniels
2012-04-15 11:32:53 UTC
It is impossible to disprove something that doesn't exist. This includes leprechauns, and gods.
Weeping Angel
2012-04-15 11:28:39 UTC
I'd like to add to that the logical truth of "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
???
2012-04-15 11:28:53 UTC
Yes, like evolution, it is a theory, if you know anything about science, you would know nothing can ever be a fact,
2012-04-15 11:29:06 UTC
That's true.