Question:
Why does GOD punish us with hell, we have a finite life but are sentenced to an infinite eternity?
hotstud2535
2006-03-20 22:59:36 UTC
Why does GOD punish us with hell, we have a finite life but are sentenced to an infinite eternity?
29 answers:
clueless_clown
2006-03-21 00:22:32 UTC
God's Salvation is a free gift (but you have to choose it & accept it)... why worry about hell??
2006-03-21 02:28:19 UTC
Because it is the strongest most horrible thing that he can think of.

Ofcourse things have changed a bit since the beginning and today there are things much worse than that

that is why he is loosing control

And God was not talking about your finite ,limited life.

he was talking about you everlasting infinate soul.

And it is that ,which would be sentenced to infinite eternity.

What confuses me is that if he did condemn you to hell,would he not have a pact with the Devil,

Because that would certainly make the Devil happy ,

after all he is forever trying to get more people to come down there.

I think they got some kind of deal going.
2006-03-20 23:14:37 UTC
God punishes A man that lived on earth 80 years with eternal damnation in Hell...

That sounds like a Just and Fair God to me!

How about this: Hell is just a fabrication by aging religions to keep their Parish in check, or simply, there is no such thing as a Hell where the Wicked burn.
gapipkin
2006-03-20 23:07:26 UTC
Hell is a conscious choice. God has already given you the gift of eternal life. All you have to do is receive it. Eternal damnation isn't a sentence but a place in which we choose to go. Like community college.
LadyBassPlayer
2006-03-20 23:07:37 UTC
God only punishes those who reject him, and don't believe in his Son, Jesus Christ. It is according to this decision that YOU make, whether you are going to hell or not. You have a decision to make to believe in God and His Son Jesus, or to deny them and go to Hell. God gives us free will to live the life we choose here on Earth. You can accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and spend eternity in Heaven, or deny him and go to Hell. Hell is a very real place. The bible tells us so. Life is nothing but a vapor in the wind, compared to all of eternity that we could potentially spend in Hell. It's your choice. Make the right one!
difiora
2016-12-13 01:35:23 UTC
because of the particular actuality it truly is the most well liked optimal undesirable mission that he can imagine of of. Ofcourse themes have replaced particularly because of the particular actuality the starting up and today there are themes a lot worse than that because of the particular actuality of this he's loosing administration And God replaced into now no longer talking about your finite ,constrained existence. he replaced into talking about you eternal infinate soul. and that is that ,which will nicely be sentenced to endless eternity. What confuses me is that if he did condemn you to hell,ought to he now no longer have a p.c... with the devil, pondering the actual incontrovertible actuality that ought to surely make the devil chuffed , regardless of each little element he's continuously attempting to get more advantageous people back down there. i imagine of they have been given some form of deal going.
im3ngs
2006-03-21 02:00:20 UTC
Consider for a moment that hell is not punishment but the destination of a person on a path/journey away from God. We're all on that path. We're born on that path. From the get-go. Some know it, some do not.

God sends his prophets, messengers, angels, etc. ... ultimately, his one and only son to "clue us in" on the fact that we're on that path. God says, if you "get it" and recognize the love of God in Jesus Christ, then you're a "new person" because you understand this new way of being. You realize that you're on a new path, one toward God, one through his Son, and to God.

God's not punishing us... God is saving us.
ForgivenOfMuch
2006-03-24 12:17:21 UTC
Luke 13:1-5 (NIV)

Repent or Perish

Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all [likewise] perish."

Not one person or two, but eighteen had a city tower crumble and fall on them. It was unanimous; all died. This was Jesus' illustration of judgement of unrepentence. The strange thing is why there was not a single man out of all eighteen that consciously moaning in agony.

Could Jesus have found an illustration of unending torment? I suppose He could have, if he wanted to support the modern interpretation of "perish."

Church-goers have all heard that to perish does not mean die, it means staying alive while in misery and discomfort ... like burning alive but not being consumed, just feeling the heat in agony. But, "perish" from a biblical standpoint has always meant one thing - death ... not ongoing, but final and complete death.

In this passage Jesus gives us eighteen reasons to believe the truth, becuase eighteen people were caught under the tower, but not a single one of them was in unending couscious torment and agony. In fact, eighteen out of eighteen were snuffed out.

So if unrepentence is your thing, and unbelief suits you ... I am not

here to change your mind ... I'm just here to explain what lies ahead.

Wide is the road that leads to [torment?]

No ... it has always been ...

Wide is the road that leads to destruction.

Lets put this question to a vote, and see which one of these great answers wins. What do you say?
peace2all
2006-03-20 23:31:16 UTC
I think we are all judged by God by what is in our hearts! I think those who burn in the eternal lake of fire are those who live their life with no love! Those are the people who rape and kill...abuse and torture...live their life for themselves and have no regard for others what so ever! Hell to me is a place on earth where these people remain for an eternity! While others Go to be with Christ in his kingdom...the New Jerusalem!
pwacheri
2006-03-20 23:08:28 UTC
Well, it is your choice. You can choose eternity with Him or without Him. If you believe with your heart and confess with your lips that Jesus Christ is Lord, you shall be saved. From then on, all you have to do is love the Lord with all your heart, and ask him to forgive you when you make mistakes. It's really not that hard. So why risk eternal torment just so you can live fancy free now?
2006-03-20 23:16:20 UTC
who says this ??

Hell....lol ur here already "a"...think about it..smiles, and visit different countries and tell me what God is the real one as well as what happens when we die????

all were u live/raised just tell me now what do u really feel inside happens ur God will give u the real answers ask him too even in a dream poss to take u there , all what u believe "thats a powerful word" believe no book alone gives me all the rules. no disrespect to any religons or belief value just my feelings and wont try to push any on anyone so respect the same in return when it comes to such a vast , touchy , topic
kolpo
2006-03-21 03:00:18 UTC
That's only when we chose to go to hell! God does not want us to be there that's why he has send us commandments, he also sent us pastors/priests to lead us to heaven and eternal life. If we turn away from the commandments and God's messages through the pastors/priests, and live life detached from God, then we are pushing ourselves to hell just plainly by our own doing.... Just like when we know that fire is hot. But why do we touch it?... That's like when we know what leads us to hell, then why should we live lives detached from God?
nicejewishguy
2006-03-20 23:34:40 UTC
Instead of asking why god does this, ask if god does this and the answer is no god does not send you to hell infinitely only up to one year barring extreme specific circumstances.
rfehnel2004
2006-03-20 23:03:59 UTC
Salvation is eternal life with your creator. If one choses not to reach out and take the hand that offers salvation eternally, then hell is eternity without your creator. Either way, there is eternal life.
truprazer
2006-03-21 23:48:10 UTC
GOD does not punish us to hell, rather He offers us the gift of eternal life. When we refuse His gift of eternal life, we choose eternal damnation.

"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side...."He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
deepbluesinger
2006-03-20 23:15:29 UTC
1John 4:8 - He that does not love has not come to know God, because God is love.

James 1:13 - When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.

Those two scriptues show God is a loving God and would not try anyone with evil, because that would not be loving.
connect2blas
2006-03-20 23:48:57 UTC
a great general went to a holy man to en quire about heaven and hell. he said to the saint " saint teach me about heaven and hell! i have had a violent yet honored life, but it will soon end I'm old". the saint while seating responded with out respect or care 'why has a man that has only killed and not respected anything except glory came to ask such deep things? f%#$ off you worthless #$@^!!!' and spat at the general. the general totally consumed with rage took his sword out and foam coming out his mouth. moved without heist to cut the holy man's head off. at that moment the saint shouted while pointing at him 'that's hell!!!' the general stunned and perplexed, understood the insight . he lowered his sword went on his knees and thanked the saint. he said " thank you. what can i do for you holy man, i have looked long for such an understanding" the holy man gently said to that's heaven'.
Who dat
2006-03-20 23:24:27 UTC
If you created something and it hated you what would you do? Would you want it around you all the time? Not me. Thats why I am saved. I want to be with God in Heaven and not with satan in Hell. I love my Creator and He loves me.
AugustMan
2006-03-20 23:16:09 UTC
Because, not only is He a loving and caring God, He is also a just God!
made_2_raid
2006-03-20 23:03:36 UTC
Traditionally, in the Bible, if you are GOOD, you go to heaven, and if you are BAD, you don't; you just stop. The Devil doesn't take you to a firey place, he just stops you going to heaven. Hell is a concept created by people much later on. =)
Terrance E
2006-03-20 23:03:44 UTC
Your question is unclear. But god has mercy on all of us, so his grace saves us from hell. But thats only if you repent and belive that Jesus is the son of God, and you belive in him with all of your heart.
BJ
2006-03-21 15:55:50 UTC
Webster’s Dictionary says that the English word “hell” is equal to the Hebrew word Sheol and the Greek word Hades.

English translators of the Authorized Version, or King James Version, translated Sheol 31 times as “hell,” 31 times as “grave,” and 3 times as “pit.” The Catholic Douay Version translated Sheol 64 times as “hell.” In the Christian Greek Scriptures “New Testament”, the King James Version translated Hades as “hell” each of the 10 times it occurs..

The question is: What kind of place is Sheol, or Hades? The fact that the King James Version translates the one Hebrew word Sheol three different ways shows that hell, grave and pit mean one and the same thing. And if hell means the common grave of mankind, it could not at the same time mean a place of fiery torture. Well, then, do Sheol and Hades mean the grave, or do they mean a place of torture?

Acts 2:31 uses Hades. Notice, too, that Jesus Christ was in Hades, or hell. Are we to believe that God tormented Christ in a hell of fire? Of course not! Jesus was simply in his grave.

Good people go to the Bible hell. For example, the good man Job, who was suffering a great deal, prayed to God: “O that in Sheol [grave, King James Version; hell, Douay Version] you would conceal me, . . . that you would set a time limit for me and remember me!” (Job 14:13) Now think: If Sheol means a place of fire and torment, would Job wish to go and spend his time there until God remembered him? Clearly, Job wanted to die and go to the grave that his sufferings might end.

In all the places where Sheol occurs in the Bible it is never associated with life, activity or torment. Rather, it is often linked with death and inactivity. For example, think about Ecclesiastes 9:10, which reads: “All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol [grave, King James Version; hell, Douay Version], the place to which you are going.” So the answer becomes very clear. Sheol and Hades refer not to a place of torment but to the common grave of mankind. (Psalm 139:8) Good people as well as bad people go to the Bible hell.

Can people get out of hell? What did Jonah mean by “out of the belly of hell”? Well, that fish’s belly was surely not a place of fiery torment. But it could have become Jonah’s grave.

WHAT JESUS SAID ABOUT DEATH

Jesus Christ spoke about the condition of the dead. He did so with regard to Lazarus, a man whom he knew well and who had died. Jesus told his disciples: “Lazarus our friend has gone to rest.” The disciples thought that Jesus meant that Lazarus was resting in sleep, recovering from an illness. They were wrong. Jesus explained: “Lazarus has died.” (John 11:11-14) Notice that Jesus compared death to rest and sleep. Lazarus was neither in heaven nor in a burning hell. He was not meeting angels or ancestors. Lazarus was not being reborn as another human. He was at rest in death, as though in a deep sleep without dreams. Other scriptures also compare death to sleep. For example, when the disciple Stephen was stoned to death, the Bible says that he “fell asleep.” (Acts 7:60) Similarly, the apostle Paul wrote about some in his day who had “fallen asleep” in death.—1 Corinthians 15:6.
esther9364622
2006-03-20 23:11:59 UTC
you can live in heaven or hell right here on earth.

you make it your self. if you live wrong you live in hell

if you live right you live in heaven and live like GOD

wants us to oh you have to read your bible and keep God on yor mind 24 - 7
nicky
2006-03-21 01:09:28 UTC
The people who go to hell won't stay ther for ever ,it depends on what they have done .
outandabout
2006-03-20 23:04:08 UTC
Doesn't make sense does it. If it doesn't fit in with human justice then it looks a bit suspect to me.
landoflookbehind
2006-03-20 23:03:57 UTC
It's a test that we need to pass,man.
Raul
2006-03-20 23:00:44 UTC
simple hell doesnt exist
Psalm37-29
2006-03-22 16:29:08 UTC
I like your question, but l can't beat antzus' answer.
Antzus
2006-03-20 23:22:54 UTC
Many religions teach that the wicked will go to a fiery hell and be tormented forever. Is this teaching logical and Scriptural? The human life span is limited to 70 or 80 years. Even if someone was guilty of extreme wickedness all his life, would everlasting torment be a just punishment? No. It would be grossly unjust to torment a man forever for the sins that he committed in a short lifetime.

Only God can reveal what happens after people die, and he has done so in his written Word, the Bible. This is what the Bible says: "As the [beast] dies, so the [man] dies; and they all have but one spirit . . . All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust." (Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20) There is no mention here of a fiery hell. Humans return to dust—to nonexistence—when they die.

In order to be tormented, a person has to be conscious. Are the dead conscious? Once again, the Bible gives the answer: "The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten." (Ecclesiastes 9:5) It is impossible for the dead, who are "conscious of nothing at all," to experience agony anywhere.

What Really Is Hell?

WHATEVER image the word "hell" brings to your mind, hell is generally thought of as a place of punishment for sin. Concerning sin and its effect, the Bible says: "Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned." (Romans 5:12) The Scriptures also state: "The wages sin pays is death." (Romans 6:23) Since the punishment for sin is death, the fundamental question in determining the true nature of hell is: What happens to us when we die?

Does life of some kind, in some form, continue after death? What is hell, and what kind of people go there? Is there any hope for those in hell? The Bible gives truthful and satisfying answers to these questions.

Life After Death?

Does something inside us, like a soul or a spirit, survive the death of the body? Consider how the first man, Adam, came to have life. The Bible states: "Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life." (Genesis 2:7) Though breathing sustained his life, putting "the breath of life" into his nostrils involved much more than simply blowing air into his lungs. It meant that God put into Adam's lifeless body the spark of life—"the force of life," which is active in all earthly creatures. (Genesis 6:17; 7:22) The Bible refers to this animating force as "spirit." (James 2:26) That spirit can be compared to the electric current that activates a machine or an appliance and enables it to perform its function. Just as the current never takes on the features of the equipment it activates, the life-force does not take on any of the characteristics of the creatures it animates. It has no personality and no thinking ability.

What happens to the spirit when a person dies? Psalm 146:4 says: "His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish." When a person dies, his impersonal spirit does not go on existing in another realm as a spirit creature. It "returns to the true God who gave it." (Ecclesiastes 12:7) This means that any hope of future life for that person now rests entirely with God.

The ancient Greek philosophers Socrates and Plato held that a soul inside a person survives death and never dies. What does the Bible teach about the soul? Adam "came to be a living soul," says Genesis 2:7. He did not receive a soul; he was a soul—a whole person. The Scriptures speak of a soul's doing work, craving food, being kidnapped, experiencing sleeplessness, and so forth. (Leviticus 23:30; Deuteronomy 12:20; 24:7; Psalm 119:28) Yes, man himself is a soul. When a person dies, that soul dies.—Ezekiel 18:4.

What, then, is the condition of the dead? When pronouncing sentence upon Adam, Jehovah stated: "Dust you are and to dust you will return." (Genesis 3:19) Where was Adam before God formed him from the dust of the ground and gave him life? Why, he simply did not exist! When he died, Adam returned to that state of complete absence of life. The condition of the dead is made clear at Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10, where we read: "The dead know nothing . . . In the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." (New International Version) Scripturally, death is a state of nonexistence. The dead have no awareness, no feelings, no thoughts.

Unending Torment or Common Grave?

Since the dead have no conscious existence, hell cannot be a fiery place of torment where the wicked suffer after death. What, then, is hell? Examining what happened to Jesus after he died helps to answer that question. The Bible writer Luke recounts: "Neither was [Jesus] forsaken in Hades [hell, King James Version] nor did his flesh see corruption."* (Acts 2:31) Where was the hell to which even Jesus went? The apostle Paul wrote: "I handed on to you . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; and that he was buried, yes, that he has been raised up the third day according to the Scriptures." (1 Corinthians 15:3, 4) So Jesus was in hell, the grave, but he was not abandoned there, for he was raised up, or resurrected.

Consider also the case of the righteous man Job, who suffered much. Wishing to escape his plight, he pleaded: "Who will grant me this, that thou mayest protect me in hell [Sheol], and hide me till thy wrath pass?"# (Job 14:13, Douay Version) How unreasonable to think that Job desired to go to a fiery-hot place for protection! To Job, "hell" was simply the grave, where his suffering would end. The Bible hell, then, is the common grave of mankind where good people as well as bad ones go.

Hellfire—All-Consuming?

Could it be that the fire of hell is symbolic of all-consuming, or thorough, destruction? Separating fire from Hades, or hell, the Scriptures say: "Death and Hades were hurled into the lake of fire." "The lake" mentioned here is symbolic, since death and hell (Hades) that are thrown into it cannot literally be burned. "This [lake of fire] means the second death"—death from which there is no hope of coming back to life.—Revelation 20:14.

The lake of fire has a meaning similar to that of "the fiery Gehenna [hell fire, King James Version]" that Jesus spoke of. (Matthew 5:22; Mark 9:47, 48) Gehenna occurs 12 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, and it refers to the valley of Hinnom, outside the walls of Jerusalem. When Jesus was on earth, this valley was used as a garbage dump, "where the dead bodies of criminals, and the carcasses of animals, and every other kind of filth was cast." (Smith's Dictionary of the Bible) The fires were kept burning by adding sulfur to burn up the refuse. Jesus used that valley as a proper symbol of everlasting destruction.

As does Gehenna, the lake of fire symbolizes eternal destruction. Death and Hades are "hurled into" it in that they will be done away with when mankind is freed from sin and the condemnation of death. Willful, unrepentant sinners will also have their "portion" in that lake. (Revelation 21:8) They too will be annihilated forever. On the other hand, those in God's memory who are in hell—the common grave of mankind—have a marvelous future.

Hell Emptied!

Revelation 20:13 states: "The sea gave up those dead in it, and death and Hades gave up those dead in them." Yes, the Bible hell will be emptied. As Jesus promised, "the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear [Jesus'] voice and come out." (John 5:28, 29) Although no longer presently existing in any form, millions of dead ones who are in Jehovah God's memory will be resurrected, or brought back to life, in a restored earthly paradise.—Luke 23:43; Acts 24:15.

In the new world of God's making, resurrected humans who comply with his righteous laws will never need to die again. (Isaiah 25:8) Jehovah "will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore." In fact, "the former things [will] have passed away." (Revelation 21:4) What a blessing is in store for those in hell—"the memorial tombs"! This blessing indeed is reason enough for us to take in more knowledge of Jehovah God and his Son, Jesus Christ.—John 17:3